Views
Helpful
Replies

four router crashes - bus error - in two weeks

chasm_Ger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

i dont know if this is the correct forum thread for this problem.

We have a new cisco 2811 router installed.

2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(3a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Cisco 2811 (revision 53.51) with 249856K/12288K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FCZ0945726Q

6 FastEthernet interfaces

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.

239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

show version prints the following:

ROUTERNAME uptime is 1 day, 23 hours, 36 minutes

System returned to ROM by bus error at PC 0x410E5BD4, address 0xB0D0B0D at 09:11:44 Berlin Tue Jun 6 2006

System restarted at 09:12:42 Berlin Tue Jun 6 2006

System image file is "flash:c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3a.bin"

show flash: prints four router crashfiles

12 197592 May 23 2006 02:45:40 +02:00 crashinfo_20060523-004540

13 192756 May 23 2006 15:46:22 +02:00 crashinfo_20060523-134622

14 204481 Jun 02 2006 03:23:22 +02:00 crashinfo_20060602-012322

15 188562 Jun 06 2006 09:11:44 +02:00 crashinfo_20060606-071144

The router has a four wic interface added. But it is not in use and not configured so far.

The router is connected to another router of the carrier with a crossover cable and on the other interface connected to our switch. On this switch there is another cisco router for another carrier route - and normal servers are connected as well.

I do not have access to this cisco tool for checking the crashfile or sh stacks command values. We have bought our cisco hardware from a local hardware retailer. So i cant get access to the registered area on cisco.com!

How can i find out which problems occured?

Still one information: the router is used as backup, not much traffic and apart from nat (via nvi) no special configuration.

thanks for your help

chasm

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chasm

The version of code that you are executing is problematic. The software download section on CCO advises not to use this version. For 12.4(3) the supported version is now up to 12.4(3d). So there have been three releases of 12.4(3) since yours to fix problems in that version. There is a software advisory for the 12.4(3a) version which lists a number of problems identified in this release - and at least a couple of them are related to bus errors. I do not know that we can proove that you are hitting one of these, but I think it is very likely.

I would suggest that you have a talk with the local hardware retailer from whom you purchased the router and ask if they can get the currently supported version of the software for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Chasm

I am glad that you resolved the issue and now have access to CCO. When I checked 12.4(3d) was the most current and recommended version of 12.4(3). If there is now a 12.4(3e) then it would be preferred to the (3d) version if you want to keep with 12.4(3). You might consider whether something more updated than 12.4(3) would be a benefit for you. With your CCO access you should be able to read the release notes for the various releases and decide whether there are new features in 12.4(8) that would benefit you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chasm

The version of code that you are executing is problematic. The software download section on CCO advises not to use this version. For 12.4(3) the supported version is now up to 12.4(3d). So there have been three releases of 12.4(3) since yours to fix problems in that version. There is a software advisory for the 12.4(3a) version which lists a number of problems identified in this release - and at least a couple of them are related to bus errors. I do not know that we can proove that you are hitting one of these, but I think it is very likely.

I would suggest that you have a talk with the local hardware retailer from whom you purchased the router and ask if they can get the currently supported version of the software for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your help.

I will call the retailer and ask for an upgrade.

One question to the registered user access on CCO.

I asked the retailer for their PICA Number. They call themselves Cisco Reseller and so on but dont know anything about PICA. Could this be true? I mean, is it possible that they are cisco partners and dont know anything about giving me registered access to CCO?

regards

chasm

Chasm

I am not in a good position to say anything about the retailer. It does seem to me that anyone who is really a reseller/partner should have a PICA number and should be able to help you get registered access to CCO. But I do not know what the details of this retailer might be and why they do not know anything about PICA.

Good luck.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

i got access to CCO now.

I'm able to download the mentioned version 12.4(3d)

but also 12.4(3e) and up to 12.4(8). All with the advanced security feature.

What shall i download now?

Thanks for your help

chasm

Chasm

I am glad that you resolved the issue and now have access to CCO. When I checked 12.4(3d) was the most current and recommended version of 12.4(3). If there is now a 12.4(3e) then it would be preferred to the (3d) version if you want to keep with 12.4(3). You might consider whether something more updated than 12.4(3) would be a benefit for you. With your CCO access you should be able to read the release notes for the various releases and decide whether there are new features in 12.4(8) that would benefit you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: