Views
Helpful
Replies

Gathering routing data...

hornbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are looking at purchasing MARS in the near future, but presently have no software running any kind of sntp protocol.

My questions is this: Can I run Kiwi syslog software on a Cisco router...(i.e. 4500, 2500 series devices) like I do no my firewall?

Also, I need to learn to better analyze our system, is their any text you might recommend?

TIA,

Gary

3 Replies 3

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Kiwi Syslog Daemon is a freeware Syslog Daemon for the Windows platform. It receives, logs, displays and forwards Syslog messages from hosts such as routers, firewalls, switches, Unix hosts and any other syslog enabled device. Here's a link with a step by step procedure on how to setup syslog on the cisco router :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/intsolns/as5xipmo/sysmgt.htm#xtocid4

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3

If you implement MARS, you will likely config your devices to log to two addresses (or, you can fwd the syslog msgs from your "main" syslog server, I think Kiwi will do that). You *probably* won't access raw syslog from MARS but it is critical that MARS get the syslogs.

HTH

Paul

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco router can send syslog messages regardless of the application at the other end. If you add the command:

logging

It will then send messages to te Kiwi server and I have see quite a few users with Kiwi managing router syslogs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: