cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generate a test snmp trap

mattcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible from an IOS and/or CatOS device to generate a non-instrusive "test" SNMP trap?

7 Replies 7

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

You can cause a config change trap by changing the description of a port or a banner.

It's all about how you define non-intrusive

Michel

Specifically something that doesn't impact the operational status of the router in any form. I don't want to have to bounce an interface just to test if my SNMP traps are working. Is there not a simple command that will generate a generic trap or must I make a change to the router config, however cosmetic it may be?

According to a previous post, you can generate the following traps on CatOS:

to send a warmstart trap

# test snmp trap 1

to send a coldstart trap

# test snmp trap 0

Thanks, this worked perfectly. Does anybody know of a similar IOS command?

for IOS devices

just telnet to the device go into configuration mode and leave config mode

# telnet x.x.x.x

Switch-02>en

Password:

Switch-02#term mon

Switch-02#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Switch-02(config)#exit

Switch-02#

*Sep 19 14:20:21.608: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (y.y.y.y)

Switch-02#exit

HTH

I've the same need, ie test snmp trap on IOS cisco devices (router 2800). I'm not able to verify if it is available a command similar to the CatOS test snmp trap...

Have you notice of similar command for IOS?

Thank's

afaik, there is no similar command in IOS to that in CatOS, but as i mentioned in my previous comments in this thread - you just need to enter the configure mode an leave it again without changing anything.

conf t

exit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: