Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting started with CNA - help needed!

paul.thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a number of Catlyst 2750 switched as well as some wireless AIR-AP1131 access points that I would like to better manage. Some of the IOS are out of date, need to look at setting up VLAN's etc etc

I downloaded Cisco Network Assistant v 5.7(1) but when I do a network scan it just says every single device is Unsupported.

I have a new 3750G-24PS sat here that I bought just before Christmas and I would like to configure it - I hoped the Cisco CNA software would help with that.....

What am I doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So once it finally interacted with the device via your supplied credentials, it's working OK?

Is your CNA host perhaps unable to connect the Internet?

I have seen similar behavior with the CCNP configuration tool when trying to manage an internal system. The tool appeared to not function responsively without being able to interact with cisco.com under the covers.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CNA only supports a subset of all the Cisco switches out there. The Release Notes outline exactly which models.

I'm not familiar with a 2750 switch. Are you sure it's not a 2950? (2950 data sheet)

2950, 1131 APs and 3750G are all supported by CNA.

Check to make sure you have your SNMP community string and authentication credentials matching between CNA and your devices and that you have enabled the http server on your devices.

Sorry, in the rush to post I mis-posted!

I have some 3750 switches.

Most 3750 models are supported. Please check the tips I posted earlier and let us know how that works for you.

I can not see where to set any authentication options in CNA?

I just uninstalled and re-installed it again, just in case of a problem.

Launch application, enter my CCO details and then IP address of 1st switch.

Gives me a generic icon for switch and then says unreachable: Unknown status.

If I right click and select device Manager it loads the IE page to manage the device without any issues.

What SNMP do i need to set and to what values?

Thanks!

Sorry, I should have just said device credentials. From the Getting Started Guide:

Passwords

When connecting to a community, Network Assistant prompts you for each unique password that has already been assigned for members of the community. Network Assistant attempts to use these passwords to connect to other devices. You are prompted for a password only if the previously entered password does not work for a device.

Generally speaking, if you follow that guide step-by-step you should end up with a good basic setup.

I am going around in circles and getting frustrated

Here's what I've done:-

Install CNA.

Start CNA.

Enter my CCO details

Enter IP address of a switch

Ensure switch has login and password set.

CNA finds the switch and say's N/A.

I have no option to enter any credentials to connect to the switch.

Where do I go from here?

ok, I'm even more confused now.

I left CNA running while I did some other things, and now its prompted me for a username and password (Took prob 10mins!) and now it's found the device properly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong for this to happen?

So once it finally interacted with the device via your supplied credentials, it's working OK?

Is your CNA host perhaps unable to connect the Internet?

I have seen similar behavior with the CCNP configuration tool when trying to manage an internal system. The tool appeared to not function responsively without being able to interact with cisco.com under the covers.

yes, all seems to be working.

It appears I was doing everything right, it just needed to sit there for a while to sort itself out!

Maybe its confused because we have a proxy server to access the internet? (Even though its setup in the preferences!)

I also made sure to untick the box that says to use proxy server to manage the devices because its not needed as they are inside the network.

All appears to be working, thanks for your help

You're welcome. Glad it worked out for you after all.

It is very likely that the proxy server is a contributing factor. Proxy server issues can be bear to recognize and resolve. I suspect if you looked under the covers at a packet capture while your CNA was taking its good old time to come up that you would see communications timing out to your proxy server. Eventually CNA gives up and gives you what you want without being able to dock to the mothership at cisco.com.

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco