cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Give console priority access

pcexhaust
Level 1
Level 1

There is a command that will give the console port high priority so that I can access it (with hyperterminal) when the router is under heavy CPU utilization. I have been looking on Google for the last hour and can't figure out what I searched for last time.I believe it was something with scheduling, but I'm not 100% sure.

Does anyone know the command I'm looking for?

Thank you

p.s. The router is suppose to have high CPU utilization.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yjdabear,

I have used this command primarily to restore console access to devices that were having CPU issues to the point the console would lock up. This is a very useful command to troubleshoot high CPU issues.

The scheduler command guarantees some CPU time for all low priority processes and if SNMPGET is one of them it probably should help as well.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

The command you are looking for is 'scheduler'. High CPU utilization caused by high priority processes can lock up the console and the scheduler command can be used to guarantee CPU time for low priority processes.

Check out this link.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/why_hang.html

HTH

Sundar

Very interesting. Could this be used to free up some CPU cycles on the cat6k so it would respond to snmpgets while processing snmpset?

You should also look at things like Control Plane Policing, storm control, etc. Your CPU should never sustain at a utilization that's so high you can't console.

yjdabear,

I have used this command primarily to restore console access to devices that were having CPU issues to the point the console would lock up. This is a very useful command to troubleshoot high CPU issues.

The scheduler command guarantees some CPU time for all low priority processes and if SNMPGET is one of them it probably should help as well.

HTH

Sundar

Also very useful when you are stress testing the router. Thank you for the replies. That is the exact command I was looking for.