Views
Helpful
Replies

Help building DSN for IPM database.

anthony.semiao
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I need help creating the ODBC Data Source on windows for connection to the IPM database.  I have successfully connected to the cmf and rmeng datasources.  However, the dbViews_401.pdf does not provide the TCP connection parameters for the IPM/IPSLA database like it does for the the other LMS dbs.    Any help you can provide is much appreciated.  Looking for DSN name, Server Name, whether or not a Database Name is needed and what the TCP options would be.

Thanks

Anthony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not sure which OS your LMS server is on, but maybe you can zero in on ipm db's actual port number, through a process of elimination by first using lsof or netstat on Solaris/Linux or TCPView (Microsoft's own) on Windows to gather up the list of 4#### range LISTENING ports, then crossing out the other LMS apps' ports since they're already known.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Since the port numbers for cmfDb, etc. didn't change between LMS 3.2 and LMS 4.1, it's probably a good bet the IPM db access port is still 43280 in LMS 4.0.1. Compare and contrast:

"Open Database Schema Support in CiscoWorks LANManagement Solution 3.2"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/database_schema/guide/dbviews.pdf

"Open Database Schema Support in Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution 4.1"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.1/database_schema/dbviews_41.pdf

Also, the KB article at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8796 mentions "You can use the listdsn argument to dbpasswd.pl to get a list of all DSNs." and has them enumerated in a table.

Thanks for your response.

I tried the following settings and still was unable to connect.  Have a feeling I am missing something basic.

Data Source Name = ipm

Server Name = ipmEng

TCP/IP = HOST=192.168.5.35;DOBROADCAST=NO;ServerPort=43280

Data Source Name = ipm

Server Name = ipmEng

TCP/IP = HOST=192.168.5.35;DOBROADCAST=NO;ServerPort=49157

I verified the windows firewall on the 2008 server is off and that the IPMProcess and IPMDbEngine processes are running.

Error message I get back when trying to test the connection is Connection Failed: Database server not found.

I have sucessfully connected to the cmfEng and rmengEng.

Not sure which OS your LMS server is on, but maybe you can zero in on ipm db's actual port number, through a process of elimination by first using lsof or netstat on Solaris/Linux or TCPView (Microsoft's own) on Windows to gather up the list of 4#### range LISTENING ports, then crossing out the other LMS apps' ports since they're already known.

Great tip.  Port 43820.  I'm in.. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: