Views
Helpful
Replies

Help - Discovery issues with switch stacks

nick.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am currently performing a discovery on a customers network using the CNC 5.1 (Cisco Network Collector) tool.

Whenever i check the end results it shows switch stacks as one physical device which is throwing my discovery off track. Why isn't this asset collecting product intelligent enough to understand the physical layout of the network and report back on all devices?

My customer has at least 24 switch stacks totalling approx 100 switches. The collector tools has picked up the virtual stack address from each?

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Davy Ad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

since they are in switch stack it will show as one Physical device ,because it uses one Physical and logical identifier.

if you do "show cdp" , you can see that as well.

HTH

DAK

Thanks for the reply.

The tool i am using (CNC 5.1) which should trawl the network looking for Cisco assets and produce a report on all milestones for individual pieces of hardware.

Surely a piece of software designed to capture assets would know it has picked up on a number of switches configured as a stack? Why cant it pickup each individual serial number?

Yes - I am also seeing the same results in Ciscoworks which is fine for network management/admin tasks bit for asset management - no.

Is there anything I can do to pick up each item of hardware and not the virtual stack which does not involve reconfiguration of the stack?

I don't really know which product can do that at the moment

DAK