cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help using snmp to set trunk port

barry.ard
Level 1
Level 1

I need some assistance in locating the mib/variables to allow me to set a trunk port and add/remove vlans on that interface. The equivalent of:

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 400,401

This is on a 4506 running IOS 12.2.25 but will later include other IOS based switches. I could use setHostConfig and but would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,

Barry

4 Replies 4

ToddWarren
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if this will give you all you need, but.....the closest I could find are:

CISCO-L2L3-interface-config-mib

CICSO-VTP-MIB

Hopefully, these 2 MIB's can maybe lead you in the right direction. Go here to view these:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2

Hi Todd,

I had looked at the CISCO-VTP-MIB and my first thoughts was that it was just informational but after closer inspection I think it will do what I want but not without a lot of pain.

Thanks for your input.

Barry.

"There is no joy, if there is no pain." author unknown, but probably a Cisco Sales Engineer :o).

rolf.fischer_2
Level 1
Level 1

Barry,

I really would not recommend to do so.

First you need to know which interface-index is associated to the interface. That's not a big thing but it has to be done first.

Then you need to change several OIDs in the CISCO-VTP-MIB, like vlanTrunkPortDynamicStatus (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.46.1.6.1.1.14.Index). (This one is read-only access so you can't set it, it's just an example for trunk related OIDs)

A VERY good source for OIDs is http://www.mibdepot.com, use the search function.

(Try keyword: TrunkPortDynamicStatus to get an idea)

But, like mentioned before, you need to change several OIDs and you really need to know what you're doing.

I personally read (GET, GETNEXT) information like that from my devices but I wouldn't set them.

And: Different plattform - different OIDs.

Hope, that helped at least a little bit.

Regards

Rolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: