Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

High-availability architecture for CiscoWorks LMS

Dear Folks,

I am wondering whehter there is a high-availability configuration for CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution. If there is such an architecture or configuration please drop me a line (azods@yahoo.com).

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: High-availability architecture for CiscoWorks LMS

No, the best you can get is having 2 servers running and theirby doubling all the polling and syslog traffic.

The advantage of a high available ciscoworks is also very limited. In general network management not critical.

A backup of all device onfigs in text format on another machine is all I ever advise.

Cheers,

Michel

also have a look at this thread:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Expert%20Archive&topic=Network%20Infrastructure&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dda9020/13#selected_message

I have seen some installations where someone was trying to add a high availability solution with handmade scripts and external RAID and not knowing the details of LMS prcesses and file system structure. This constantly lead to db inconsistencies while changing from the one server to the other. And what messed it up totaly was that you don?t get a message that something is going wrong - someday you just recognize (when you launch the right app) that it is not working as expected ...

Silver

Not entirely true. You need not double syslog traffic. We've instaled a couple of syslog NG clusters as the only logging targets and then have it distribute the results to multiple destinations.

If you choose the correct OS, number of servers, and number of redundant installations to match your environment you don't need HA.

I have about 5K mixed devices (60/40 routers/switches) across the US and through scheduling and thresholding I run the full suite of LMS 2.6 with little impact to the network.

Views
Helpful
Replies