cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How long should UT Acquisition take?

9tgonzalez
Level 1
Level 1

My UT Acquisition takes about 4 hours to complete. I have 155 devices, 1929 end hosts. & 2774 IP phones.

Is this normal?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Beyond adding all of the IP address for the phones and end hosts to DNS or the hosts file, you will need to figure out where the acquisition is spending all of its time. You can enable vmpsadmin debugging under Campus Manager > Administration > Campus Data Collection > Debugging Options, run a new acquisition, then look at the ut.log to see where the time is being spent.

You should also check ANIServer.properties and make sure you have:

UTGetVlansWithUserPortsIOS=1

If this property is set to 0 or missing from the file, that could cause acquisition to take a long time with IOS switches.

Finally, check your Data Collection SNMP Timeouts and Retries, and make sure they are not set too high. The default is 6 second timeout with 1 retry. I would not go above a 12 second timeout with 2 retries.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It can be, yes. There is an issue with the way Windows does name resolution that can seriously hinder acquisition performance. It is recommended that all end host IP addresses resolve either in DNS or the local hosts file.

For Solaris, this sounds a bit steep, but without a debug log it's impossible to know where the acquisition is spending its time.

With either OS, misconfigurations can increase acquisition time. And if SNMPv3 is being used, certain switches (e.g. XL and 2950 series) may not respond properly.

Thanks for the info.

I'm running Win3k server with LMS 2.6. Most of the end hosts are in DNS. I do not use SNMPv3.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

Beyond adding all of the IP address for the phones and end hosts to DNS or the hosts file, you will need to figure out where the acquisition is spending all of its time. You can enable vmpsadmin debugging under Campus Manager > Administration > Campus Data Collection > Debugging Options, run a new acquisition, then look at the ut.log to see where the time is being spent.

You should also check ANIServer.properties and make sure you have:

UTGetVlansWithUserPortsIOS=1

If this property is set to 0 or missing from the file, that could cause acquisition to take a long time with IOS switches.

Finally, check your Data Collection SNMP Timeouts and Retries, and make sure they are not set too high. The default is 6 second timeout with 1 retry. I would not go above a 12 second timeout with 2 retries.

Thanks,

Im good with "UTGetVlansWithUserPortsIOS=1" and my SNMP is thr default.

I did check my ut.log file where most time is spent on DNS. I will investigate.

One other thing I noticed I'm missing many of my network subnets in "user tacking\admin\acquisition\config subnet" When I look in common services "groups\campus\system defined\subnet based groups" I see all of my subnets.

Do you have any idea why?

The subnets for the UT list are pulled from a UT acquisition. Therefore, you need to perform a complete major acquisition, and find end hosts in all desired subnets.

Compare that with the Campus Manager groups list of subnets. That list is compiled based on Campus Manager Data Collection.

I have been doing major acquisition for weeks, but still missing many subnets. I have devices in cm inventory from all of the missing subnets.

Thanks for your help I unchecked "Get user names from hosts in NT and NDS domains" and my acquisition went from 4 hours to 10 min.

It doesn't matter if you have devices in Topology from the missing subnets. What matters is if you have end users in User Tracking in those subnets.

I do have end users on missing subnets. What can I do to troubleshoot?

The same vmpsadmin debugging does some things for building the subnet map. However, things to check are that the missing subnets have valid VLAN and VTP names associated with them.

I think I know what my problem is. All of the devices on the dmz networks that are missing in UT use PIX 525 as the default gateway. PIX does not use CDP so UT will never find IP address. I have also read CM does not support any PIX firewalls. Are there any plans to include PIX in the future?

Is there anything I can do to get UT to discover hosts on the DMZ networks that use PIX as gateway?

Thanks.

There are no plans to support the PIX in Campus since it does not support CDP.

What we do in our lab to make sure we see IPs and hostnames in UT is use a sacrificial router. In our case, we have a 2511 on our DMZ network that does nothing but collect ARP entries. It is discovered by Campus, and UT will use it for resolving MACs to IPs. The config on this router is very simple. We have SNMP, an IP address, and a default route.

Note: the hosts on the DMZ do not even need to use this router as a gateway. The simple fact that it's on the subnet means it will learn all of the ARPs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco