Views
Helpful
Replies

How to clear MAC Address Table by NMS

aformisani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm looking for a SNMP set command that clear the MAC Address table on a Switch Cisco 4503.

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's a link to a document describing to to "get" mac addresses. I don't think you can clear them with SNMP as they are marked read only in the MIB browser. (reference)

I'm pretty sure you can't clear the table in one fell swoop either as it is two levels up in the MIB and noted as "not accessible" in the MIB browser. (reference)

Instead of snmp, you could create a shell script or EEM action to accomplish the same result. the command syntax for the action is here.

Hope this helps.

It "clears" all by itself if everybody on the network stops talking for 5 minutes.  :-)

Cheers,

Michel

Ok thanks Marvin.

Also as Michel said the table is cleared after expiring of the the aging time (5 min default). But I need to clear an interface after a specific event happens without waiting for the aging time. This because after this specific event, the link in which the interface is connected to is blocked by third-party redundancy protocol.

For some compatibility problem the interface connected with the blocked link keep all MAC-address table for 5 minutes (default aging-time) with the result of blocking all communication to that MAC.

Actually I need to move all MAC-address table from that interface to another interface in another device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: