cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure CiscoWorks to back up the configuration in real time?

robert.huang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm sorry if this was answered before.

We have CiscoWorks LMS 4.2 in production. I'd like to know how to utilize it to back up the configuration whenever "wr mem" is issued on the router/switch/firewall.

Currently the configuration is backed up everyday at 1am. But this is not a real-time backup.

Anty input will be appreciated.

Robert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as your devices write a corresponding syslog after "write mem" or "copy run start" that's received by your LMS server(s), you can configure one or more Syslog "Automated Actions" to trigger config archive actions autonomously. Below is a link on how to use Automated Actions in LMS 3.x. LMS 4.x should be similar.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.0.3/user/guide/syslog.html#wp1211314

Here's a partial list of common syslog facilities & mnemonic written out by various Cisco platforms after "write mem" or "copy run start":

IOS

SYS-5-CONFIG_I

CatOS

SYS-6-CFG_CHG

CPU_REDUN-6-RUNNING_CONFIG_CHG

SAN

AAA-6-AAA_ACCOUNTING_MESSAGE

ASA/FWSM/PIX

???-???-???

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as your devices write a corresponding syslog after "write mem" or "copy run start" that's received by your LMS server(s), you can configure one or more Syslog "Automated Actions" to trigger config archive actions autonomously. Below is a link on how to use Automated Actions in LMS 3.x. LMS 4.x should be similar.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.0.3/user/guide/syslog.html#wp1211314

Here's a partial list of common syslog facilities & mnemonic written out by various Cisco platforms after "write mem" or "copy run start":

IOS

SYS-5-CONFIG_I

CatOS

SYS-6-CFG_CHG

CPU_REDUN-6-RUNNING_CONFIG_CHG

SAN

AAA-6-AAA_ACCOUNTING_MESSAGE

ASA/FWSM/PIX

???-???-???

Hi my apologies for using this discussion but can i ask a favor from you guys? I would like to ask how to do configuration backup for our cisco devices using the ciscoworks lms? We just want the back up to run perioadically.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

asakurahao

Jayson,

You can always start a new thread.

LMS can be setup to periodically poll and collect your configurations. On LMS 4.x, look under Admin > Collection Setttings > Config. There you can optionally choose to store the configs in a text archive known as the shadow directory (the default is for LMS to store them in its embedded database) and setup the schedule and other relevant settings.