cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to enable SYSLOG collector on Prime Infrastructure 2.0?

Shrenik Shah
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to collect SYSLOG on Prime Infrastructure tool 2.0. I have configured few devices to send the SYSLOG messages to the Prime Infrastructure 2.0. I can see the port-up port-down events as Alarms but not under the SYSLOG option in Operate->Alarms and Events -> Syslogs

Also, what is the SYSLOG configuration option in the Administration->Logging->Syslog logging options used for? Do I have to enable it for syslog collection? I am not sure I understand Syslog Host field there which asks for an IP address.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

what is the SYSLOG configuration option in the Administration->Logging->Syslog logging options used for?

It is used  to enable collecting and processing system logs.

Syslog Host IP address of the interface from which the message is to be transmitted.

check the below link :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1-2/user/guide/prime_infra_ug/maint_sys_health.html#pgfId-1053346

AFAIK , you don't need to enable anything on PI for syslog collection , just make sure your devices are sending the syslog to the PI server with this command   {  logging <Ip address of the PI server>  }.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Note that by default PI only displays severity 0-2 syslog messages. If you want to see all syslog severity level events, there is an (unsupported) method you can use to modify the filter PI uses "under the covers".

Please see this post for details.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

what is the SYSLOG configuration option in the Administration->Logging->Syslog logging options used for?

It is used  to enable collecting and processing system logs.

Syslog Host IP address of the interface from which the message is to be transmitted.

check the below link :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1-2/user/guide/prime_infra_ug/maint_sys_health.html#pgfId-1053346

AFAIK , you don't need to enable anything on PI for syslog collection , just make sure your devices are sending the syslog to the PI server with this command   {  logging <Ip address of the PI server>  }.

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hello Afroz,

Thank you for the information. So the SYSLOG option needs to be "enabled" from the Logging settings in order to start collecting the syslogs? I looked at the link posted by you and still not sure about the host IP address. Should that address be the PI IP address?

Thank you

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Note that by default PI only displays severity 0-2 syslog messages. If you want to see all syslog severity level events, there is an (unsupported) method you can use to modify the filter PI uses "under the covers".

Please see this post for details.

Hello Marvin,

Thank you for the information about the workaround. I will give it a try.

Shrenik

Mr Marvin

can you please tell me what is the unsupported method we can use to modify the filter PI uses "under the covers" ?

thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: