Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor traffic on a Catalyst 6509

khuysmans
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Professionals,

I am using a Cisco Catalyst 6509. I have 3 VLAN's configured on it and the 6509 is responsible for the inter-VLAN routing.

I would like to find some way to be able to monitor the traffic on this switch. I am already monitoring (MRTG/RRDtool) the traffic on a per-port basis, but I would also like to get some details on which type of traffic is actually being generated. Ideally I would get the information which would be provided by netflow packets.

I understand that it will not be possible to obtain layer 3/4 information of traffic within the same VLAN. I am assuming that traffic which traverses 2 VLAN's is never switched and needs to be routed and thus processed by the switch. I am however failing to find a way to monitor this traffic.

Configuring an ip account on the ports doesn't seem to work. It is possible on the VLAN interfaces, but the traffic I am looking for doesn't seem to show up there.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

With kind regards,

Kevin

1 Reply 1

I have been using a tool from AdventNet that is preety good. It collects NetFlow statistics and produces the output for you. There is some configuration needed on your switches/routers, but not much. They have a 30-day fully functional evaluation that can be downloaded. Give it a try.

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/index.html

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: