Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reinitialize RME & CS database?

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

HI,

Please advice that how to reinitialze the RME & CS database. Do I have to perform in specific order. Please tell the all stesp require to reinitialze database.

I am using lms 3.2.1.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You asked how to reinitialize the RME AND CS databases...

it is no problem to reinit the RME database alone but if you reinit the CS database (cmf) then you have to reinit ALL other databases as well! And you have to start with reinitialization of cmf, because other database write information into the cmf database (which is lost when you reinit the cmf database after it was written to it...)

Marvin pointed you the Joes' doc, there is one sentance:

[...]

Reinitializing a database will destroy ALL data associated with that database.  If you need to reinitialize the cmf database, you will lose ALL data in ALL LMS applications.

[...]

also see this thread...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/646290#646290

for you this means, you are done with reinitialization of the RME database if this was the problem and you should NOT touch the CMF database.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please refer to Joe Clarke's excellent document posted on this forum here for detailed steps required.

If after reading that you still want to proceed, I'd suggest RME first and then Common Services since CS is the foundation of the product.

Hope this helps.

If you reinitialize the CS database you HAVE TO reinitalize ALL databases. CS database is called "cmf" and it holds application specific data from all other databases (e.g. JRM information [Job information]).

If you whipe out this information, e.g. jobs from individual applications are removed.

Also , while individual databases are reinitialized, they write information into the cmf database. Because of this, when you reinitialize the cmf database, you have to do this as the FIRST step, before any other database is reinitialized !!

Hi,

I am bit confuse with 2 different comments. My backup restore for RME was not succesful, so as per above suggestion I have now executed the command to initiaze the RME.

Is it required to initialize the CS as well, as in backup restore, CS was restore perfectly.

Please advise. Thanks

You asked how to reinitialize the RME AND CS databases...

it is no problem to reinit the RME database alone but if you reinit the CS database (cmf) then you have to reinit ALL other databases as well! And you have to start with reinitialization of cmf, because other database write information into the cmf database (which is lost when you reinit the cmf database after it was written to it...)

Marvin pointed you the Joes' doc, there is one sentance:

[...]

Reinitializing a database will destroy ALL data associated with that database.  If you need to reinitialize the cmf database, you will lose ALL data in ALL LMS applications.

[...]

also see this thread...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/646290#646290

for you this means, you are done with reinitialization of the RME database if this was the problem and you should NOT touch the CMF database.

Thanks for the clarifications, Martin. That explanation helped my understanding as well.

I am glad that I could help, Marvin [the "kiloposter" ;-) - that was great ! ]

And thank you for the rating - both of you rizwan555 and Marvin - which gave me a poke upstairs...