cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to start with Cisco Works

reg_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a Cisco works on Windows Server 2003 machine but when I open Cisco works it doesn't start. What is the path of Cisco works to enter in Internet explorer?. Thanks.

27 Replies 27

I think you have a bigger issue with your system.

If you can't access CS, some processes are still not working.

Do you have support from a provider?

It is trial version I have no this support

Okay....

What error is shown in the browser?

Are all processes started? Is it possible to access another module from ciscoworks, RME or DFM?

If not I think you have a problem with your apache webserver...

I configure all Cisco works processes in automatic and started and now I think I can access Cisco works portal without problems.

I have a problem of something is misconfiugred when I try to discovery devices. The following error is showed:

Discovery configurations is not proper. Please configure the modules and other settings and try again.

Okay, that sounds not so bad ;-)

Go to CS -> Device and Credentials -> Device Discovery -> Discovery settings -> configure

In the first step you can select the modules you want to use. I think "CDP" is very useful and "Routing table" is useful for jumping WAN lines.

In the second step configure "global seed devices" as a starting point for discovery. This should be a core switch or a main router.

In the third step you have to configure the SNMP read communities for your networks as they are configured on the devices. You can use wildcards like:

10.[10-20].*.* or 192.168.1.*

Then you can configure filters if you have some networks you don't want to discover (exclude) or you want to discover (include). You can use wildcards as in the SNMP section.

In the global settings you can select which IP addresses you want to use. I am using loopback for example where it is possible. Another good working way is to "resolve by name" if you have a proper DNS for your devices.

In the last step you will see a summary. Click "Finish".

Then you can start your discovery once again.

Good luck!

Thanks for your information.

Device discovery doesn't work. I enabled snmp in a Cisco Catalyst switch and after I configured Cisco Works with the settings that you say me and in device discovery doesn't appear something.

Please post your SNMP configuration from the device and the the discovery settings if possible.

snmp-server [community string] rw

I can' atteach all discovey settings here. What do you want to know?.

You can check the snmp reachability of the device.

Go to:

Device Diagnostic Tools -> Device Center

There insert the ip address of the device and click "Go".

You will find some tools like "ping" or "snmp walk".

Is it possible to ping the device out of the application? If yes test the snmp reachability by using the snmp walk.

Set your community, v2c as the version and as the starting OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3

You should get an information about the sys uptime if the device is reachable by snmp.

If this doesn't work you should check firewalls, ACL or something like this.

I can ping with success but snmp failed to get information of the device with the OID trhat you say me.

There is no firewall and neither ACL in device.

Hm...I think a system uptime you should get from every cisco device.

What error message do you get and what device did you test?

I need a list of commands to configure snmp in Cisco Catalyst switch to works with Cisco works. I think the problem is there.

I think you should get a logging message on the switch if LMS takes a false community.

The commands for SNMP:

!

! use an ACL for security

!

access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.1

access-list 2 permit 10.10.10.1

!

! add the communities for RO and RW

!

snmp-server community exampleRead RO 1

snmp-server community exampleWrite RW 2

!