cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to truncate syslog message

denis.ivitchev
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there is a way to truncate the syslog message? For example, I get this error forwarded to me by CiscoWorks:

"Syslog message generated from device XXXX: Feb 26 03:05:07 X.X.X.X 2006 Feb 26 03:01:15 eastern -05:00 %KERNEL-1-CREATEPROCESSFAILED:Error in creating process: Unavailable free stack; stack type: 1; Name: LinkUpdPrcs"

Is there a way to get rid of "Syslog message generated from device XXXX: Feb 26 03:05:07 X.X.X.X 2006 Feb 26 03:01:15 eastern -05:00" part? I only need the actual error message. Reason is that our cell phones (this is how we get error messages) only support limited amount of characters.

We are running LMS 2.5 on w2k3 server.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Denis

3 Replies 3

gmaccisco1
Level 1
Level 1

This seems to have been generated from a PIX but here how i truncate the IDS database for CiscoWorks VMS and this always works for me. I have had a lot of problems with the database getting big due to Pruning not working properly. so this might help, just run this at the dos prompt of your CiscWorks VMS server.

d:

dbbackup -xo -c "uid=idsmdc;pwd=PUT YOUR PASSWORD HERE;dbn=idsmdc;eng=sqlcoredbserver;links=tcpip{dobroadcast=no;host=localhost;port=10033}"

JUST CUT AND PAST SINCE HAVING SPACE OR NOT HAVING SPACE IS IMPORTANT.

let me knnow if it works.

thx,

Masood

Thanks Masood,

Actually this message was generated from CatOS running on 6509 switch. I'm not concerned about the database, I just want to truncate beginning of the syslog message which contains name of the device and date, both of which are added by CiscoWorks.

denis.ivitchev
Level 1
Level 1

To answer my own question, NO, there is no way. Just got official confirmation from Cisco.