Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use snmpset with cisco switch?

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Could someone please tell me how to use snmpset or snmpget to copy the running config and startup config from a cisco 3548 switch. Would you know what the complete oid would be? I'm using linux to do this.

Thanks in advance

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just to help decipher that document a bit:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.X.random#

The first 13 OID#s will be identical, the 14th# will change and the 15th# will be a random number that you choose. In all six instances you will use the same random#.

X=.2(ccCopyProtocol).random# :Integer 1=tftp, 2=ftp, 3=rcp, 4=scp, 5=sftp

X=.3(ccCopySourceFileType).random# :Integer 1=Network, 2=iosFile, 3=startup-config, 4=running-config, 5=Terminal

X=.4(ccCopyDestFileType).random# :Integer same values as above apply here also

X=.5(ccCopyServerAddress).random# :IpAddress x.x.x.x

X=.6(ccCopyFileName).random# :String

X=.14(ccCopyEntryRowStatus).random# :Integer 1=Active, 2=Not in service, 3=Not Ready, 4=Create and Go (<-select this one), 5=Create and wait, 6=Destroy

Check the status of your SNMP set procedure with an SNMP walk with same 13# OID plus:

X=.10(ccCopyState).random#

It should come back with a status report of waiting(1), running(2), successful(3), or failed(4).

After 5 minutes the instances you created (random#) will clear. You can manually clear with X=.14 :Integer 6(Destroy).

The Cisco referenced document used HP Open View. I suppose you can use net-snmp or some other snmp software that will allow you to do multiple sets in one command. I used SNMP Set in Device Manager of CiscoWorks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dan

Please, check if this procedure applies:

"How To Copy Configurations To and From Cisco Devices Using SNMP":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094aa6.shtml

Hope this helps

Just to help decipher that document a bit:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.X.random#

The first 13 OID#s will be identical, the 14th# will change and the 15th# will be a random number that you choose. In all six instances you will use the same random#.

X=.2(ccCopyProtocol).random# :Integer 1=tftp, 2=ftp, 3=rcp, 4=scp, 5=sftp

X=.3(ccCopySourceFileType).random# :Integer 1=Network, 2=iosFile, 3=startup-config, 4=running-config, 5=Terminal

X=.4(ccCopyDestFileType).random# :Integer same values as above apply here also

X=.5(ccCopyServerAddress).random# :IpAddress x.x.x.x

X=.6(ccCopyFileName).random# :String

X=.14(ccCopyEntryRowStatus).random# :Integer 1=Active, 2=Not in service, 3=Not Ready, 4=Create and Go (<-select this one), 5=Create and wait, 6=Destroy

Check the status of your SNMP set procedure with an SNMP walk with same 13# OID plus:

X=.10(ccCopyState).random#

It should come back with a status report of waiting(1), running(2), successful(3), or failed(4).

After 5 minutes the instances you created (random#) will clear. You can manually clear with X=.14 :Integer 6(Destroy).

The Cisco referenced document used HP Open View. I suppose you can use net-snmp or some other snmp software that will allow you to do multiple sets in one command. I used SNMP Set in Device Manager of CiscoWorks.