Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use snmpset with cisco switch?

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Could someone please tell me how to use snmpset or snmpget to copy the running config and startup config from a cisco 3548 switch. Would you know what the complete oid would be? I'm using linux to do this.

Thanks in advance

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just to help decipher that document a bit:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.X.random#

The first 13 OID#s will be identical, the 14th# will change and the 15th# will be a random number that you choose. In all six instances you will use the same random#.

X=.2(ccCopyProtocol).random# :Integer 1=tftp, 2=ftp, 3=rcp, 4=scp, 5=sftp

X=.3(ccCopySourceFileType).random# :Integer 1=Network, 2=iosFile, 3=startup-config, 4=running-config, 5=Terminal

X=.4(ccCopyDestFileType).random# :Integer same values as above apply here also

X=.5(ccCopyServerAddress).random# :IpAddress x.x.x.x

X=.6(ccCopyFileName).random# :String

X=.14(ccCopyEntryRowStatus).random# :Integer 1=Active, 2=Not in service, 3=Not Ready, 4=Create and Go (<-select this one), 5=Create and wait, 6=Destroy

Check the status of your SNMP set procedure with an SNMP walk with same 13# OID plus:

X=.10(ccCopyState).random#

It should come back with a status report of waiting(1), running(2), successful(3), or failed(4).

After 5 minutes the instances you created (random#) will clear. You can manually clear with X=.14 :Integer 6(Destroy).

The Cisco referenced document used HP Open View. I suppose you can use net-snmp or some other snmp software that will allow you to do multiple sets in one command. I used SNMP Set in Device Manager of CiscoWorks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dan

Please, check if this procedure applies:

"How To Copy Configurations To and From Cisco Devices Using SNMP":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094aa6.shtml

Hope this helps

Just to help decipher that document a bit:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.X.random#

The first 13 OID#s will be identical, the 14th# will change and the 15th# will be a random number that you choose. In all six instances you will use the same random#.

X=.2(ccCopyProtocol).random# :Integer 1=tftp, 2=ftp, 3=rcp, 4=scp, 5=sftp

X=.3(ccCopySourceFileType).random# :Integer 1=Network, 2=iosFile, 3=startup-config, 4=running-config, 5=Terminal

X=.4(ccCopyDestFileType).random# :Integer same values as above apply here also

X=.5(ccCopyServerAddress).random# :IpAddress x.x.x.x

X=.6(ccCopyFileName).random# :String

X=.14(ccCopyEntryRowStatus).random# :Integer 1=Active, 2=Not in service, 3=Not Ready, 4=Create and Go (<-select this one), 5=Create and wait, 6=Destroy

Check the status of your SNMP set procedure with an SNMP walk with same 13# OID plus:

X=.10(ccCopyState).random#

It should come back with a status report of waiting(1), running(2), successful(3), or failed(4).

After 5 minutes the instances you created (random#) will clear. You can manually clear with X=.14 :Integer 6(Destroy).

The Cisco referenced document used HP Open View. I suppose you can use net-snmp or some other snmp software that will allow you to do multiple sets in one command. I used SNMP Set in Device Manager of CiscoWorks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: