Views
Helpful
Replies

How to view Log on the cisco 2821 Router

saroj pradhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

can any one help me  to view the Log on the Cisco 2821 router for any  issue occur.

Thanks,

Saroj

2 Replies 2

ashirkar
Level 7
Level 7

Cisco devices use the syslog to manage system logs and alerts. But in Cisco devices there is lack of large internal storage space for storing these kinds of logs.So to overcome Cisco devices has the following two options:

1) internanal buffer That is a small part of memory buffers to collect log the most recent messages. The buffer size is limited and , when the device reboots, these syslog messages are lost.by default it is on

(If not follow this steps

conf t

logging on

logging console.....console logs

logging buffer  size ......set the size of buffer

terminal monitor.......to gets logs on the remote terminal like telnet,ssh etc.

sh logging.........to see buffer logs.)

2) Syslog server—  By using this we can send messages to an external device for storing this logs and the storage size does depend on the available disk space of the external syslog server. This option is not enabled by default.

If you have any syslog server please find the below simple config .

conf t

logging host x.x.x.x

logging traps (i.e 0 1 2 3 4 5 .. according to your requirement)

before enabling logging be sure that your router is properly configure to collect proper time from any NTP server or manually configure to get time

command to set time manually on router is (set clock ) or to use ntp server use ntp server x.x.x.x to sync clock to router router.

Hop thant is informative ,

Regards,

Ashish

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding to Ashish's informative reply, I generally set logging buffer size to 50000 in order to get a good size log saved in memory. The default size (4k) doesn't give one may log events stored in memory.