Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to view router/switch logs using LMS 3.2?

Of course I can log into each of my 100 routers and switches and peforms "sh loggin" to look for problems, but how do I use LMS 3.2 to consolidate all those logs into one location?  Can I set up something so I can see those logs in more or less real time?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone's tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Blue

Re: How to view router/switch logs using LMS 3.2?

RME provides the Syslog Analysis tool for centralized reporting. Here's a guide written for RME 3.x, but the same applies to RME 4.x of LMS 3.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_tech_note09186a00800a7275.shtml

Of course, the reports need to be either scheduled or run manually, so I don't consider it "real-time". OTOH, "interesting" syslogs can be acted upon in real-time via the Automated Actions feature of RME (email or triggering a custom script).

The terminology is confusing me.

Does LMS go get syslog messages periodically or does the device send a copy to LMS whenever it generates a new message?

What's the benefit of scheduling a report to run automatically?  Is it saved somewhere that is easier/quicker to get to?

Can new syslog messages from devices be posted to an RSS feed?

Blue

>> Does LMS go get syslog messages periodically or does the device send a copy to LMS whenever it generates a new message?

The latter.

If for some reason, the devices cannot log directly to LMS, there're a few options: 1) Devices log to a central syslog server, which in turn exposes the syslogs to LMS' Syslog Analyzer, either via the Cisco-supplied Remote Syslog Collector or some unsupported methods such as NFS mount, or 2) Install Syslog-ng on the central syslog server, relay the logs to LMS, as described in this whitepaper: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/white_paper_c11-571038.html

>> What's the benefit of scheduling a report to run automatically?  Is it saved somewhere that is easier/quicker to get to?

It's the usual benefits of automation. Scheduled syslog reports apparently write outputs to /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/cri/archives/syslog/reports/output/[jobID_runID], on Solaris, for example. The structure inside is rather muddy. So it might be easier to have something like a VBscript to screen-scrape the LMS web GUI for the report outputs instead.

>> Can new syslog messages from devices be posted to an RSS feed?

That's a novel idea. Though obviously not from the devices directly, it most likely coud be done through some "syslog2rss" relay residing on the syslog server. I think the potential volumes of logs could be too much for RSS, unless careful filtering/deduplication takes place on the relay before posting to a feed.

perhaps you can use this EEM script wich let your device tweet....

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/EEM?page=eem&fn=script&scriptId=2121

Views
Helpful
Replies