Views
Helpful
Replies

HPOV and CW?

nitass
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I’m new in network management software. I’m suspected about HPOV and CW. As my understood, both are same kind of software, running on SNMP protocol. Why does anyone tell to integrate HPOV with CW? Could you please advice?

Regarding CW, I saw many products in the CW family. How can I choose the right product? Could you please suggest?

Thanks,

Nitass

11 Replies 11

bellflower
Level 1
Level 1

Asking for a correct Q ....HPOV is not a product. It's a HP product family containing a lot of products such as NNM, Servicedesk,and more...

http://www.managementsoftware.hp.com/products/a-z.html

Pleas tell me, if you mean NNM, Network Node Manager VS CW ?

kkuppusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cw is ment for extensive management of Cisco Devices only, where as you can manage devices and Servers.

You can integrate CW with HPOV. By integrating the Cisco MIBs and icons will be integarated HPOV. This will disply the Cisco Devices with Cisco Icons and you can launch CW apps form HPOV.

Regards,

KKS

Bellflower,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I really meant the NNM.

Kkuppusa,

Thanks for reply. Do you mean the CW only manages the Cisco device? How about SNMP?

Please avice.

Thanks for advance,

Nitass

CiscoWorks is used to manage Cisco devices only. It is used to backup device configurations, do inventory of hardware and software, can be used to receive and process syslog messages and more. A core piece of CiscoWorks is called RME (Resource Manager Essentials) and that's exactly what it helps you do...helps you manage the resources.

NNM is generally used to watch for devices going down and to notify when this happens by means of paging or email or trouble tickets or etc for all kinds of devices (servers, UPSes, Cisco, whatever) that support SNMP and/or IP. It is also used as an SNMP trap receiver. Devices setup with SNMP can send traps. These traps need to be interpreted when they are received to be human readable (i.e. Hard drive is 90% full instead of an OID).

When CiscoWorks is integrated with OV, as mentioned above, it loads and compiles the MIBs so the traps can be interpreted and be human readable when received. It also make the ICONs look nicer instead of a plain circle or square. It allows a view of the device to be launched that looks exactly like the device.

SNMP is used by both.

Okido...

Hope you got the answer that "getwithrob" posted

Apr 5, 2006, 4:49pm PST...

But the "miss-match" of name expression between HPOV and NNM is still going on.. But you got the answer and that is what counts..

// B

Hi,

Thanks for replies. As you mentioned, SNMP is used by both. That means the CW can also query OID and receive SNMP trap from any device that support SNMP. Am I correct?

If yes, why do I need NNM?

Thanks for advance,

Nitass

If you just have cisco device in your environment you really dont need NNM but, consider, with NNM you can manage any device via SNMP as the integration with a troubleticket aplication.

Thanks for reply. Can CW query OID and receive SNMP trap from any device that supports SNMP?

Thanks,

Nitass

Just Cisco Devices. Not another brand

NNM and the Openview product line is a "Manager of Managers" verses management of specific technologies thats represented by Ciscoworks.

Its designed for best use by system operators with general skills for an enterprise. What it still lacks is SNMPv3 and an effective correlation engine (one that doesn't roll over and die with 1,000 events a minute fed to it)

As far as SNMPv3 for OV NNM is concerned, HP partners with SNMP Research to add this support. This is IMO actually better than relying on the original vendor, because SNMP Research's add-on has very comprehensive SNMP v3 capabilities (authPriv) whereas a product like CiscoWorks LMS has only implemented authNoPriv (as of 2.5, AFAIK).