Views
Helpful
Replies

i want to disable Vlan.dat config backup in LMS

Sanjay Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

LMS do backup my running config and valn.dat. But due to some policies we want to exclude the vlan.dat in the backup.

Can anybody confirm if it is possible in LMS.

Regards,

Sanjay

7 Replies 7

Sanjay Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

Can excluding the copy vlan.dat and copy dir const_nvram:vlan.dat in RME>Admin>Config Mgmt> Archive managent>exclude commands do fulfill the requirement as the same I am not too much sure.

And also am want to be sure of not getting error message like Vlan config fetch is not supported or any vlan error message.

Basic discussion will be highly appreciable.

This is not possible.  The best you can do is disable telnet/SSH access to your devices, but you will still get an error message that vlan.dat was not archive.  Note: if you use vlan.dat (i.e., your switches are in VTP server or client mode) then you want to make sure this is backed up for disaster recovery purposes.

I should have qualified this.  LMS 4.2 DOES support the ability to disable vlan.dat.  Since you didn't specify a version of LMS, I assumed the statistical norm of 4.1.  If you do have 4.2, go to Admin > Collection Settings > Config > Config Collection Settings to disable vlan.dat.

That said, I strongly encourge you not to do this for the reasons I mentioned.

Joe,

Sorry if this is an ignorant question.

It was always my understanding that the vlan.dat was a file holding the temporary changes in VLAN configurations a VTP client receives from the VTP server.

So what is the actual purpose of backing up this file?

In case a switch is replaced it will receive updates from the VTP server and can match the VLANs to the VLAN defined on it's ports.

Also I never saw any restoring of a vlan.dat in LMS.

I'm confused here. Thanks for an explanation or pointing to relevant documents.

Cheers,

Michel

In server and client configuration, none of the VTP/VLAN data is stored in the running config.  It is all kept in vlan.dat.  This means that if you lose the vlan.dat, you lose your VTP config.  So, even in the case of a client, you want to make sure this is backed up and restored in the case of a disaster.

LMS doesn't restore vlan.dat typically, but you can schedule this with cwcli if you need to.  However, it's good to have it in case something goes wrong and you need to put back all of your VTP/VLAN config.

Thanks Joe,

This leaves me with some conflicting info. Must schedule some lab time to try it myself.

I was assuming it would only apply to a VTP server.

If you bring an empty VTP server is a VTP domain it would clear all VLAN's, but if you bring it in as a client it should learn all VLAN's, hence creating it own new vlan.dat. Turning it into a VTP server then, should not affect the network.

Anyway, there is no way validate a backuped vlan.dat I think, see the VLAN's and the version number?

Cheers,

Michel

The VTP domain name is stored in vlan.dat on the client.  You're right that the VLANs would be updated from the server, but why mess with your config?  If you have to replace a switch, restore everything to get it to its last known working configuration.

Unfortunately, vlan.dat is opaque data, so you can't verify it other than verify the checksum on box and off box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: