i succesfully configured a Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.1 applliance to display an alarm and to send me an e-mail when switch uplink ports goes down.
The text displayed in alarm message is :
port 'interface_id' is down on device 'device_ip_address'
I'd like to include in this text also the interface description so the text will display :
port 'interface_id' 'interface_descriprion' is down on device 'device_ip_address'
Is this possible?
Thankyou in advance
We use CloudView NMS for this purpose http://www.cloudviewnms.com. It shows all our network. You can configure your e-mail when interface goes down.
i'd like to not use a third part software, we spent a lot of time configuring prime for monitoring and logging and sincerely i'd like to find a solution for that!!
Thankyou so much.
This issue was solved on version 2.2 and now after upgrading to 3.0 we are receiving again messages without Interface Description.
Anyone else with same problem?
sorry for the late reply, i don't know if this feature is supported on verion 2.2 or te newest 2.2.1, i'll upgrade the appliance and let you Know!
i followed these steps :
- configured Prime Infrastructure as snmp-server host;
- enabled snmp-traps for linkup and linkdown events globally;
- disabled snmp-traps for linkup and linkdown on non relevant interfaces using the no snmp trap link-status command
PRIME INFRASTRUCTURE SIDE
- under "Deploy/Monitor Deployment" i deployed template "Interface Health" for all the interested switches
- under "Administration/System Settings/Mail Server Configuration" configured my internal SMTP server to make Prime Infrastructure able to send e-mails
- under "Operate/Alarms & Events" click on "Email Notifications" , then on "Switches and Hubs"
- check the "critical" box , insert the destination e-mail address into the "To" field then click "Save"
- check the "switches and Hubs" box and then click Save
As i know is possible to avoid to configure every single not-interesting port on the switches with "no snmp trap link-status" command (it's a bit annoying when you have tens of switches), using Port Grouping configuration on PI but i tried it without success.
Hope this helps.
The options that can be included for E-mail notifications are listed under:
Administration > System Settings > Alarms and Events
Unfortunately, Interface Description is not one among them.
thanks for your reply.
I saw that the options that can be included in e-mail notifications are listed under this menu and is not possible from GUI to add interface description , i just wanted to know if this could be possible using some kind of Scripting via CLI.