For some reason I forgot to install IPM when I upgraded to LMS 2.5. I am now on LMS 2.6 and tried installing IPM and got this error message;
Error Number : 0x80040707
Am I SOL?
At what point in the installation do you see this? Since IPM does not have any service packs since 2.5 was initially released, you should be able to install it on top of 2.6.
Ran IPM 2.6 CD and right after installer extracted necessary files I got that error.
When I clicked OK on the error on top another error message pop ups with;
Recquired DLL could not be loaded.
Ah. This is typically one of two things. The easiest thing is a dirty CD. Try cleaning off the CD. If that does not work, you may have a bad CD. In this case you will need to open a TAC Service Request to get an RMA.
One lesser known cause could be a bad CD drive. If you can mount this CD in another machine, and mount it over the network. You may also want to read over http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108167 .
I received a new CD and still does the same thing.
I did check out that link and followed everything that was mentioned to no avail.
Are you aware of any DLL/s thats required for the IPM installation?
I am not aware of anything beyond what Install Shield requires. Everything from a CiscoWorks perspective should be installed by Common Services.
If you copy the IPM data off of the CD from another machine, zip it, then copy it to the LMS server, do you still get the same error?
Yes I have also done that.
What I haven't tried is installing an older version of IPM. But then finding one is also an issue. I can only seem to find patches not a full installation.
You cannot install an older version of IPM. The only version that will work with LMS 2.5/2.6 is IPM 2.6.0. This can be installed off of a full LMS 2.5 or 2.5.1 CD. It can also be installed on those CDs marked for upgrade only.
If you have another server, try installing Common Services 3.0.3 (from LMS 2.5.1), then install IPM 2.6.0. That will tell you if perhaps there is a problem with the current server, or a media issue.
Then this could be a DLL conflict that our installer is hitting. Is there any additional description with the error? A Google search reveals that some users have solved similar problems by disabling the Print Spooler service, or adjusting the executable parameters (see http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5252325.html).
If you still cannot isolate the problem, I recommend opening a TAC Service Request so we can analyze and track this problem further.
I found that and various other fixes but did not eliminate my problem.
I will open a TAC case after I install SP1 on the server. I just noticed that there are no service packs installed on it. So i'll give that a go. Thanks Joe.
The last suggestion I have is to go to http://www.sysinternals.com and download Process Explorer, and see which DLLs the IPM installer opens when the error occurs. Compare those DLLs to the ones on the working server, and try and resolve any differences.
Compared DLLs and processes and I do not see any difference.
But now I am getting a new error message,
"Error Extracting support files;
Access is Denied"
..although I have admin rights to the server.
Check the values of the TEMP and TMP environment variables. We recommend you set them to a simple path that meets DOS 8.3 file name specs (e.g. C:\TEMP). Just make sure this directory exists, and permissions are good.
Server did not have a "Startup" folder uner All Users. Pretty stupid and took me this long to figure this out.