Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Interactive user-defined task

Hello,

is there any way of doing a user-defined task in CiscoWorks that asks you for a parameter?

For example: if I want to shutdown the interface x when a trap is received, I can write this:

# interface $if

but I want the udt to ask me what interface I want to choose, such way I can write "GigabitEthernet 0/3" and the tasks goes on.

Can anyone help me, please?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Interactive user-defined task

You can easily create parameterized User-Defined Tasks in Netconfig by clicking the "Parameterized" checkbox, and following the instructions at http://server/help/rme/fundamentals/netcfg_ParametTemplates.html .

However, it sounds like you want something more reactionary. That is, you want to trigger an action on the device when an event occurs. You might want to look at the Embedded Event Manager within IOS for this (if your IOS supports it). See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_feature_guide09186a00804aae8c.html for more details on EEM.

Thank you very much, jclarke

but I would need something different. I need to choose the device and one of its interfaces to launch a job and apply a user-defined task over those 2 elements (device and interface).

How to choose the device is easy, the first step when defining a new job but I don't know how to indicate the interface. It can vary and depends on the port where the error occurs.

I need the user-defined task could read that port from the trap or syslog message or that task ask me for the port, can this be done?

Cisco Employee

A Netconfig template cannot read input from a syslog message unless you write your own Automated Action script that parses the message, and kicks off a Netconfig job using cwcli.

However, if you follow the instructions I sent previously on enabling parameterized templates, you can specify an XML input file to Netconfig that will allow you to specify the input parameters on a per-device basis.

Views
Helpful
Replies