cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface status in DFM

Ulenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! DFM doesn't show Admin status and Oper status of interfaces on some devices (writes UNKNOWN). Reason?

14 Replies 14

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of devices, and for which interface types?

Cisco router, FastEthernet.

I meant which type of router. What version of IOS? What do ifAdminStatus and ifOperStatus report for that device via SNMP?

#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, 3700 Software (C3745-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.3(14)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 23-Mar-06 00:27 by pwade

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: 3700 Software (C3745-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.3(9a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Okay, this is a supported router in DFM 2.0.7, so assuming you're running that version of DFM, you should poll this router's ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus for the interfaces in question, and see if it is reporting the status correctly.

If those objects are correct, and the interfaces in question are managed, then the status should eventually show up correctly. Note: the interface status at the time of initial discovery will be "Not Available." The correct values will only be reflected after DFM completes one polling cycle for the device.

If, however, the interfaces' managed state is "false" then the interface status will always be "Not Available."

DFM polls device, but ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus shown as UNKNOWN in Alerts and Activities and in other places.

I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what this looks like then. I assumed you meant the status was showing unknown under Device Details. But if you are seeing this in Alerts and Activities, it could be an intermittent problem with the device instrumentation. Do you have a screenshot of this problem?

Sorry, in Device view status is Not Available, and in Alerts and Activities it's UNKNOWN. Here the screenshot.

You should get a sniffer trace of SNMP traffic to this device for one DFM polling cycle, and see if DFM is encountering any errors trying to poll these objects for these interfaces. Looks like there might be a timeout issue.

I got sniffer trace and there is no errors.

Here output from dmctl and another question. What does parameter IsInterfaceInstrumented mean? Where it configured? Because difference in two interfaces only in this parameter, but status of one of interfaces is known, and other Not Available.

This is a different device from the original screenshots you showed. You can configure interface management in the Detailed Device View. Your second screenshot shows the location. All managed interfaces should have their Managed State set to true. After doing this, Submit your changes, then go back to Configuration > Polling and Threshold Configuration > Apply Changes.

Yes, devices are different, but the problem is same for both. I did this actions: "All managed interfaces should have their Managed State set to true. After doing this, Submit your changes, then go back to Configuration > Polling and Threshold Configuration > Apply Changes." but it doesn't help.

Then you should open a TAC Service Request. The sniffer trace will be vital to figuring out what DFM is polling, and why it is not correctly determining the status for these interfaces.