Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP-6-UDP_SOCKOVFL:UDP socket overflow

I have a question:

One of my C65 is getting in trouble with the following message:

%IP-6-UDP_SOCKOVFL:UDP socket overflow from Source IP: xxx, Destination port: 161

A show netstat udp shows this:

sh netstat udp

udp:

0 incomplete headers

0 bad data length fields

0 bad checksums

177940 socket overflows

382 no such ports

because of that problem with udp p161 my polling NNM always detects this as a node down, which is really annoying.

Do you know how to clear the buffers. I will not be able to reload the Box, its production.

cheers

yves

5 REPLIES

Re: IP-6-UDP_SOCKOVFL:UDP socket overflow

hi

Do find the reason and the recommended reason to avoid the same in the future..

%IP-6-UDP_SOCKOVFL: UDP socket overflow from Source IP:[chars], Destination port:[dec]

This message indicates that all buffers for a UDP socket on the Network Management Processor (NMP) have filled up due to excessive UDP traffic on the administrative VLAN and cannot store additional traffic. [chars] is the source IP address and [dec] is the destination port number.

Recommended Action: Remove or block the source of the UDP packets to prevent further UDP packet loss. Note Kernel messages do not indicate a problem with system performance but should be reported to your technical support representative.

regds

Hi , I don 't think there is excessive udp traffic, not more than on all the other 50 boxes, and they work just fine.

I there a way to clear the buffers, or something thats help without implementing acls.

Because I need Port 161 on udp for Monitoring.

Red

What code are you running on your Cat6500?

We are running cat6000-supk8.8-3-3.bin

Red

Nevermind then, I was suspecting a known issue that is fixed in 7.6(1) and higher.

Check how many SNMP packets are hitting the switch, and their frequency.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content