Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address instead of hostname in Device & Credentials

Sonugnair_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing a problem in LMS 2.6 Common services, Device and credentials, Device management.When i select a particular device and view its credentials, in the report page under the hostname field i see the ip address of the device. This is the case for all devices. I tried to manually change it to hostname , but after device discovery it reverts back to ip address. I installed LMS on another machine the same issue exists. I would like to see hostname under the hostname field instead of the IP address. I have common services 3.0.3.

How can this be rectfied?Pls help!!

Thanking you

Regards

Sonu

6 Replies 6

rdanevich
Level 1
Level 1

I don't believe that can be changed. My system is the same way.

If you're wanting to view a "Friendly" name in Topology view then edit the device's credential and give it a "Display Name". Then in Topology View>Display Labels> select Show Device Name.

Select Show Sysname to view the device's actual hostname. Same as when you terminal into the device. I suppose that IP address is used when selecting Show Device Name. If true then it would be possible to falsely display the hostname by simply inserting an IP Address of another device.

Under Discovery Settings, do you have Resolve By Name or SysName checked?

Yes i do. Now does this maean that i have to mention name-server,domain name and enable domain lookup in devices config?

Putting into name-server is one way.

Another option is you can use the host file in server. It would be easier option rather than touching name server which may be under somebody control.

Please rate if help.

Cheers!

Agreed. I put everything into my host file. My CW box, my realm, my responsibility, my fault if it's broken. :)

In discovery options i unchecked the "use reverse DNS Lookup". Then in device management

i manually added host names, applied changes, ran device discovery & data collection and the hostnames persisted instead of ip addresses.

Thanks for the tips..

Regards

Sonu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: