cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Checksum Errors on Catalyst 6509

jackrivituso
Level 1
Level 1

We have been seeing IP Checksum errors on a catalyst 6509. I am using a sniffer to look at the packets based upon the timestamp for that message on the catalyst 6509 syslog.

However, I am not really sure what I am looking for as I review the packets. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

5 Replies 5

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I guess it mentions at least one if not two ip addresses in the error? There's your filter.

I would expect if the catalyst looks at the packets at that level it would be packets that are routed by the switch.

But usually packets that have a correct CRC bu a bad checksum give me the "I'm being hacked" feeling so I start looking for someone knowledgeable to send crafted packets.

Cheers,

Michel

No, actually all I see is this:

*Jan 14 04:16:19: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_CSUM_ERR: IP checksum errors

*Jan 14 04:48:49: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_LEN_ERR: MAC/IP length inconsistencies

*Jan 14 08:18:19: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_CSUM_ERR: IP checksum errors

*Jan 14 08:51:49: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_LEN_ERR: MAC/IP length inconsistencies

*Jan 14 11:51:49: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_CSUM_ERR: IP checksum errors

*Jan 14 12:32:49: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_CSUM_ERR: IP checksum errors

*Jan 14 14:28:49: %MLS_STAT-SP-4-IP_CSUM_ERR: IP checksum errors

I see, Some of these errors make me wonder.....why doesn't just say : error

A complete lack of common sense. It should at least mention the port it was received on.

Bottom line, you will have to do a show command to see what port is dropping/discarding packets.

It can be a bad NIC card or a bad cable.

Here is what cisco says about it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801b42bf.shtml#prob1

Cheers

Michel

Thanks, but can you be more specific as to what command i should use to identify the devices dropping packet? thanks

You need to identify a port on which you have received a bad packet.

I'm not good at typing commands. I rely heavily on IOS ability to show the options using ? In my opinion IOS would be useless without that.

Command would be something like:

show interface counters errors

Always use the ? after a command to see what other options might be interesting to you.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: