Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP SLA satcom challenge

I've got a one way satcom link that is having errors and I want to use IP SLA to monitor.  The satellite path is one way from A to B and I am trying to set up testing A to B but B cannot respond at least in the typical manner because there is no return link.  I have a routed service channel that can reach back B to A so there is a path available if the IP SLA response packets could somehow route.

• Network Management
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Routing decisions are not

Routing decisions are not taken by IP SLA. Irrespective of what protocol/feature you use on IOS, network route has to be configured properly on the network itself, for symmetric or asymmetric routes.

IP SLA works in asymmetric route (where traffic goes from one route and comes back from another) properly. In fact its few operations like UPD Jitter are also, designed to show per direction data in asymmetric network.

Which IP SLA operation are you configuring?

Routing is not something which is expected from IP SLA to be done by itself. It will always depend on underlying network routing/switching for it to select best path to go to a destination and come back.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks.  I've been using icmp

Thanks.  I've been using icmp-echo in the past but I think I would like to use udp-jitter here.  I cannot get the test to run.  I'll check to make sure I have a return path route. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.