Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP SLA

Hi,

I'm drawing up a design for a network monitoring solution based upon Cisco IOS IP SLA.

I need to know whether there will be communication between IP SLA Responders and the NMS, or whether it is just the IP SLA Source which shall communicate with the NMS.

It is important that I am accurate with this informatiopn because the NMS resides behind firewalls.

Thanks in advance, Carl

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: IP SLA

Carl,

AFAIK the NMS will talk to the Source SAA agent.

The agent on the source will make the requested type of test /connection with the target.

But since most targets could also be a source it is probably best to allow traffic between all the NMS and all agents.

Cheers,

Michel

Cisco Employee

Re: IP SLA

Another tidbit of info:

When you import devices as Sources, IPM contacts the device and adds them only if they are running SAA and if the Read and Write community strings are provided.

When devices are imported as Target SAA Responders, if the device has a read community string, IPM verifies if the SAA responder is enabled on the target or not. If there is not Read Community String, the SAA responder status is not verified.

When you import devices as Target IP Devices, IPM adds the device without either contacting the device or making any verifications.

After import IPM should work with the sources to obtain the data they have collected.

Views
Helpful
Replies