Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPM X IP SLA

Hi users,

I know that some measure done by IPM don't need the IP SLA enabled on Cisco devices. But talking with a customer, he told me that his IPM is doing some measures that has as prerequisite the IP SLA, but with IP SLA not enabled on devices. According to him, CiscoWorks enable automatically IP SLA on device, IPM do the measure and after this CiscoWorks disable automatically IP SLA on that device. Sounds very strange to me, but when in doubt I am asking here. So, do you think this makes sense? Or is he doing a measure which don't need IP SLA, and thinks that it needs.

Another question, where can I found a list of which measures need IP SLA enabled and those one that don't need?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Flaviano Leoncini.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: IPM X IP SLA

Correct, provided you have a valid read-write SNMP credential in DCR, IPM will do all of the IP SLA configuration on those devices.

IPM handles all source device configuration.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

IPM requires source devices to be Cisco IOS devices capable of running IP SLA. IPM will configure the IP SLA collectors on these source devices using SNMP.

The target devices can be any IP addressable device for CERTAIN IP SLA operations (e.g. ICMP echo, TCP connect, etc.). However, some operations require that both the source and target device be Cisco IOS (e.g. UDP jitter, enhanced UDP). In those cases, you must enable the IP SLA responder on the target devices. This needs to be done manually (or using something like RME Netconfig). IPM will not do this for you.

Hi Clarke, thanks again!

"IPM will configure the IP SLA collectors on these source devices using SNMP." -> So what you mean is that I don't need to worry about sources devices' IP SLA configuration? IPM can configure these source devices and I don't need to configure them manually?

On situations in which I need IP SLA configured only in souce devices, don't I need to configure IP SLA? Can IPM do it by himself?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Flaviano.

Cisco Employee

Correct, provided you have a valid read-write SNMP credential in DCR, IPM will do all of the IP SLA configuration on those devices.

IPM handles all source device configuration.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content