Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IPSLA/Perfromance/IPM: syslog message on collector down/failed

Dears,

Customer is upgrading  from ciscoworks SNMS  and they feel they loose a lot of valuable info.

They now have a few maps that give an at a glace state of the network. There is little I can do in LMS 4.1 to cover that.

The main problem for now is alerting on a host that runs a service like smtp, dns, etc and some hosts that should be pingable.

I'm trying to configure a collector on "IPM/ IPSLA/Performance" to run tests like echo, smtp and dns from a few central devices.

I think a IPSLA device it is capable to send syslog messages when the collector action 'fails' right?

Does anyone know what these messages look like?

I'd like to generate an alert using the syslog automated actions so I need to know what I can expect, provided my asumptions are correct.

Cheers,

Michel

2 REPLIES

IPSLA/Perfromance/IPM: syslog message on collector down/failed

Looks like the only syslog messages I get, annouce bad news......

*Mar 30 23:18:39.668 UTC: %SYS-3-HARIKARI: Process IP SLAs Responder top-level routine exited

*Mar 30 23:30:14.848 UTC: %SYS-3-HARIKARI: Process IP SLAs XOS Event Processor top-level routine exited

*Mar 30 23:35:09.923 UTC: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty0 (10.10.1.9)

harikari???  harakiri or sepuku is meant I suppose? A bit over dramatised I think.

Cheers,

Michel

Re: IPSLA/Perfromance/IPM: syslog message on collector down/fail

I am amazed.

When I use LMS to configure the devices to send IPSLA SYSLOG it configures ..... traps!

"IP SLA jobs for syslog configuration"

rtr logging traps

ip sla logging traps

ip sla monitor logging traps

I found this other thread   https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/176841

It seems what is being said in LMS help and on cisco.com is perhaps somewhat misleading.

It can send traps not syslogs.

Now looking at the helpfile I get the impression someone is confused about syslog and traps

"IPSLA Syslog Configuration

Syslog is a trap message that is sent  from the device if any changes occur to the device. You can either   enable or disable the IPSLA Syslog. However the IPSLA Syslog can be  configured only by a Network  Administrator or System Administrator.

The Device Selector will display only the Source devices that are IPSLA enabled. It does not display any  Target devices.

To enable or disable IPSLA Syslog: "

A SYSLOG message is not a trap message!.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Can I get LMS to act upon a failing collector?

Views
Helpful
Replies