cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to get the download speed from only a request to the ip adress ?

DALHI_Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please can someone here just tell me if it is possible or not to get the download speed of a computer, from only sending a request to the ip adress of that PC.
Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ahmed,

In this case you can use the open source monitoring tool named Cacti.I have already used it and it is fine.

But you should have at least Read Only SNMP reachability to these routers in order to send SNMP - request from the device that host Cacti to poll the interfaces of the routers that you are interested in calculating the bandwidth utilization.

These routers should also be configured as snmp server for the IP of the Cacti as well as with a snmp community (if are not already configured)

Hope that helps,

Vasilis

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ahmed

It would not be possible to get an accurate measurement of download speed just from sending a request to the address of the PC. You could measure the round trip time to reach the PC using a single packet. But to measure download capacity you need to send a larger volume of traffic and measure how the connection works under load.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you first Richard to answer my question .

This is about my final project: "I have to send a certain request to many routers (the routers are in different cities), to measure the download speed", the purpose of this project, is to check that the download speed is never under (example:1Mbps).

So:
1. Can't we mesure the download speed, using the round trip to reach the router, by changing the number of packets?
2.  " to measure download capacity you need to send a larger volume of traffic and measure how the connection works under load." the purpose is not to have an accurate download speed, but to check, that the download speed is never under (example:1Mbps).

If that is not possible, don't you know any application, that can do the job, either open source, or not.

Thank you very much Richard,

Waiting for your answer...

Hi Ahmed,

1. No, you cant define the download speed from the roundtrip delay...maybe a too high value of round trip delay could occur to a congested link...but no more info.

2. Solarwinds sofware can measure the download speed. For your requirments you can use the free tool Networx, it calculates real time the bandwidth utilization.

Hope that helps

Vasilis

Hi Vasilis,

1. OK
2. I downloaded Networx, and I think that it only  monitors local networks, but what I am supposed to do is : to measure the download speed of many routers(their IP addresses are given) located in different cities.

So is there an application that can measure the download speed of any router in the country, from only the ip address of that router ?

Thank you very much.

Waiting for your answer...

Hi Ahmed,

In this case you can use the open source monitoring tool named Cacti.I have already used it and it is fine.

But you should have at least Read Only SNMP reachability to these routers in order to send SNMP - request from the device that host Cacti to poll the interfaces of the routers that you are interested in calculating the bandwidth utilization.

These routers should also be configured as snmp server for the IP of the Cacti as well as with a snmp community (if are not already configured)

Hope that helps,

Vasilis

That's What I'm Talking About

I think Cacti will be appropriate for my project,

Vasilis, do you think their forums can help me in that mission ?

Finally, can you give your e-mail, if I need help during my project

Thank you Vasilis for your help.

Great!

Cacti is a very good tool and it is used by many Network Engineers.

It is open source with great support and blogs. Definetely the forums will help you to write an excellent project.

I recommend you the next links:

www.cacti.net

/http://forums.cacti.net/

Sure, you can send me any time message to my account in Cisco Support Community (send as email tab, on the upper right corner on this page).