cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError in install.log after applying CM 5.0.1

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

fresh installation of LMS 3.0(1.5k) on win2k3 SP2 (english) with 2048 MB RAM.

I found the following error ([...]java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cm/4/0[...]) in the CiscoWorks_install.log after applying cwcm5_0_1_win.zip patch. (see below for details)

As it is at the end of the 'preinstall hooks' and installation seems to complete I assume it is not a severe failure. I just want to get a confirmation for this :-) (hopefully)

As well there are a few other things I noticed:

1) on the web there are the following patches available for Common Services 3.1(CiscoWorks Server):

cwcs3.1-winCSCsk21026-0.zip

cwcs3.1-winCSCsk28621-0.zip

using the LMS GUI (Software or Device Update) only MDF 1.22 pkg is listed, the other patches are not listed

but downloading these patches and install them manually is no problem...

- What is the reason for this? I need to be sure that one will be really up to date with the patch level when using the GUI.

2) after installing cwdfm3_0_1_win.zip the DFM patch info is not listed in Common Services - Software Central - Software Update - Device Fault Manager (then clicking on Device Fault Manager) as it should be (and how it is e.g for CM 5.0.1 patch) whereas the 'Version patch level' and 'Installed Date' on this page are getting updated

3) having some bug-fixes installed (like for CS or IPM) going to CS-SW Center-SW update clicking on e.g IPM and then on the bug ID never returns a result. Why are these bugs not for public view ?

[...]

C:\Temp\1\pft8.tmp\tar_itools.exe: Removing drive spec from names in the archive

----- end of Tar all backed up files

INFO: Going to execute the command: D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\MDC\JRE\bin\java.exe -cp D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\webapps\cwhp\web-inf\lib\cwhp.jar;D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\lib\classpath\cmic.jar;D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\shared\lib\xerces.jar;D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\objects\log4j\1.1.3\log4j.jar;D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\shared\lib\MICE.jar;D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\shared\lib\NATIVE.jar;D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\lib\classpath;com.cisco.nm.cwcs.cwhp.applications.remove cm.4.0 1741 http > C:\Temp\1\_ISTMP2.DIR\_ISTMP1.DIR\campus_cmicunreg.txt 2>&1

-----UnRegistering Campus Manager Home Page ...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: cm/4/0

Exception in thread "main"

----- end of UnRegistering Campus Manager Home Page ...

HOOK: END at 12:00:42 ,Mon 12/03/2007 ,W. Europe Standard Time

getting property ABORT from property list ..., found: OFF

getting property ABORT from C:\Temp\1\_ISTMP2.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\global.properties..., done

setting property PRODUCT_NAME=CiscoWorks into property List ..., adding property done

setting property SHORT_PRODUCT_NAME=CiscoWorks into property List ..., adding pr

[...]

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This NoClassDefFoundError will be seen by everyone due to a typo in running the CMIC command. However, it does not appear to be fatal.

The Common Services patches and updates that use crypto can be found at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cd-one-3des . There are currently no service packs for Common Services 3.1.

What you are seeing under DFM is expected. You will, however, see DFM 3.0.1 under the main Software Update page.

The bugs may be marked internal, or do not have a valid release note.

thanks for the information; so I will ignore this message in the log file.

Regarding CommonServices and the updates/patches, for me, this is not clear to understand and the documentation has not detailed information about that not all kind of 'Updates' can be retrieved through the GUI. If I understand you correct, only real 'Service Packs' which change the revision number of an application can be found when using the LMS SW-Center GUI to update LMS. So Bug-Fixes like the one mentioned in my previous mail will not be included. But this raises the next question - will *CRYPTO* updates be found by the GUI ?

Regarding DFM I would say that this is not expected, because cwdfm3_0_1_win.zip changes the revision number of DFM from 3.0 to 3.0.1 and it is NOT listed below the category 'Patches Installed'. Looking at campus the patch (or 'Service Pack') that changed CM 5.0 to CM 5.0.1 is listed.

So either the category header is wrong or cwdfm3_0_1_win.zip should not be named dfm 3.0.1.

Yes, Service Packs available under the crypto links on Cisco.com will be shown in Common Services Software Center.

Some teams view the patches installed section as a place for point or bug fix patches. Others, like the Campus team, view it as a place for all patches (service packs included). The main Software Update screen gives you an accurate view of the version of each application installed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: