Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Keeping ISDN alive

I have a small problem keeping my isdn connection alive for more than 5 minutes. I am connected with a cisco 801 router. The connection only opens up both channels when accessing data from the internet.

From being inactive if I run netstat it will open up ch1 but not 2. Only if i go to access emails/pages data etc.

I am looking for a way to keep this connection alive so that i can remotely connect from another office whenever i need. However with the connection staying on for only about 5 mins total I am unable to connect when i want. (1min after ch2 dies and 5mins till ch1 goes out).

Is there anything in the router settings that tells this connection when to end. Or perhaps am i able to keep it alive through a quick lil batch file that say dls/ups a file from a ftp site, and run that every 5 mins? this seems pretty much overkill. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES
Red

Re: Keeping ISDN alive

See if you can use the Dialer Persistent command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a0080087c3a.html

If not, then you may have to use the dialer idle-timeout command to increase how long the ISDN connection stays up for.

thanks for your help. I was also told to inquire as to the Keepalive command. any info on the relation between my problem is greatly appreciated. or is the keepalive command have to do with keeping packets alive if there hasnt been an ack sent back? or does this have to do with keeping the connection alive?

Blue

You mean these two?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/cs/csprtf/csprtf4/cstroubl.htm#xtocid1446224

service tcp-keepalives-in

To generate keepalive packets on idle incoming network connections (initiated by the remote host), use the service tcp-keepalives-in global configuration command. The no form of this command with the appropriate keyword disables the keepalives.

service tcp-keepalives-out

Views
Helpful
Replies