Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAN and WAN traffic statistics collection

hi,

I have a requirement to monitor the LAN and WAN traffic statistics. For LAN statistics, info such as type of traffic (IP, IPX etc), broadcast, collision and multicast and its respective utilisation is required. For WAN statistics, the info required include the type of traffic (IP, SNA etc) and its respective utilization.

Understand that NAM is able to provide the LAN statistics required. But remote sites will be a challenge since not all switches support RSPAN. Moreover, traffic over a expensive WAN link for such monitoring will be a lot.

Initially, I have thought of using RMON. However, RMON does not provide info on the type of traffic exist in a LAN segment.

Is there a simpler solution out there other than planting probes on every sites?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES

Re: LAN and WAN traffic statistics collection

Hi,

This sounds like an ideal application of netflow:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6601/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd80311f57.pdf

You can either use a commercial data collector, e.g.:

http://www.openview.hp.com/products/ovpi/index.html

or one of the many excellent open source packages.

HTH

Andrew.

hi Andrew,

undertstand that Netflow will be able to provide IP based information. Can it provide the LAN statistics as well?

For OVPI, it uses RMON as one of the source of data collection. From my understanding, RMON does not contain LAN statistics such as type of traffic (IP, IPX etc). It does provide statistics like broadcast and collisions packets. I am not sure whether Cisco had its own RMON extension that provide such info. Are u aware of this?

Thanks.

Albert Lai

If you are interested in IP based statistics (WAN and/or LAN) such as utilization, conversations etc. you might want to consider enabling Netflow on your devices assuming you are running all Cisco. Othewise, using 3rd party tools such as eHealth or MRTG would be able to give you performance statistics.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content