cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Large file transfer crashes network

ggoodspeed
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco network with two sites joined by a gigaman leased line. Whenever we try to transfer a large file (18 gigabytes) from one site to the other, many of the switches on both sites get such a backlog of traffic that the entire network is brought to a standstill. Transferring the same file to a computer on the same site does not cause a problem.

I realize this is a very general description of the problem, but can you suggest in general what I should be looking for to solve it? I'll be glad to supply more detailed info if requested. Thanks. -G.

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

You have to apply Qos for the network which will determine how much amount of traffic caneach application consume in the alloted bandwidth.

Qos configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk544/tech_configuration_guides_list.html

Hello,

This discussion is closely related to something I am trying to accomplish as well.

My company has a 1721 router that links us to our ISP T1. The next hop up is an IDS box and then our PIX firewall.

Frequently when I download large files, our entire bandwidth (1.5Mbps) is fully utilized.

Is there a simple way to configure the 1721 to only allow 384kbps per connection?

All connections will appear as coming from our firewall, so I don't really have subnets, a VLAN, or group class upon which to differentiate. I'm hoping there is simply a global config that will limit any individual connection.

Please advise + Thanks!

Tom Watts