cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Launching the Web-Based Configuration Utility...

NightriderXP
Level 1
Level 1

I bought a WAP4410N access point but am getting stuck on the security setup, so anyone can access my service.  This is the first wireless network I've ever set up.  At Step 2, it states,

Step 2:  Configure your computer to be on the same subnet as the access point (for example 192.168.1.199).

By default, the WAP4410N Access Point has an IP address of 192.168.1.245 and a default mask of 255.255.255.0.

I'm unsure how to configure my PC to be on the same subnet as the access point.  When I try to launch 192.168.1.245 from the browser for Step 4, it times out:

Step 4:  In the Address field enter 192.168.1.245 and press the Enter key.

I found additional instructions online that stated:

Note:  If in case the default IP (http://192.168.1.245) did not work the first time, we advise you to do a hard reset on the WAP4410N by pressing and holding down the reset button for 10 - 15 seconds to set the device back to default settings.

This did not fix the problem, so it seems obvious that I will never gain access to the access point security until I can resolve Step 2 above.  I appreciate any and all responses.  Thanks in advance for your help...

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question...

1 Reply 1

NightriderXP
Level 1
Level 1

I finally figured out how to access the wap4410N Web-Based Configuration Utility.  Based on a response to an identical question found in another forum for a different Cisco model, I found that my wap4410N did not use the same IP address specified in the instructions.  I was able to obtain the correct IP address by accessing the Web-Based Configuration Utility for my D-Link router, which revealed the IP address assigned to the wap4410N access point.  Once I obtained the correct wap4410N access point IP address, I had no trouble logging into its Web-Based Configuration Utility...

I wish this expensive access point included software on the install CD to help avoid difficulties in setting up the access point security.  That seems pretty important to me.  I'm a computer programmer who offers online technical support, yet it took me nearly a week to get this security set up.  I wonder how many people never figure it out, broadcasting an unsecured signal to all of their neighbors???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: