cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link down and Link Up Snmp trap C#

bingxunnn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i've configure my cisco router to receive the SNMP traps if the link goes up or down. However i found out that when i plugged out the cable i'm not receiving any link down on the network management system. Until i plugged in again the link will then show up or down state. May i know whats the reason why i can't receive the link down when i plugged out my cable?

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it possible that the interface that you have disconnected is the interface which your router uses to communicate with the network management system?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi i don't quite get your question. my router only has 1 port connected which is the fa0/0 ip address 192.168.1.2 yes, the cable is connected directly to my computer and no other port is connected except the console cable.

Message was edited by: Bing Xun Ng

If your router has only fa0/0 as active interface, then this would be the interface that the router would use to communicate with the network management system. However when you unplug that interface now the router has no interface that it can use to send the link down trap to the network management system.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So what must i do to test the SNMP traps without plugging out the fa0/0 interface?

My suggestion would be to provide a second interface on the router that is active and to use it as your test interface to unplug.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

currently I've a cable that plug to my desktop that is for Internet access. I have a switch and a router. do you have any suggestion on how I can use my desktop to communicate with my Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 and at the same time with Internet access?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: