Helpful
Replies

Link shows solid red in topology services even after it is up

Sonugnair_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing a problem in Topology services which is as below:-

I have a managed 2950 switch connected to a 6509e. I can see all devices & links properly in topology services. For testing purposes i connected another 2950 (which is also managed) to existing 2950 via a cross over cable as trunk, configured for SNMP,cdp etc. Now this device can be seen throuh chassis view and topology services.If i power it off the icon becomes red & when powered on it becomes green within 1.5 minutes. But the problrm is that the link connecting the two 2950's stays solid red (even when powerd on). I manually ran a device discovery once again and still the problem persists. Both the devices can see each other via cdp, ping etc. when i did a path analysis layer 3 is successful but layer 2 is shown as failure.

How can this be? The devices are directly connected (nothing in between).I use LMS 2.6

Pls give some ways to overcome this.

Thanks and Regards

Sonu

3 Replies 3

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Since we cannot see the objects the Campus database holds on the devices the best option is to delete the link, select the 2 devices and run a data collection for these 2 devices.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi,

In "Schedule data collection" I checked & set the "Poll periodically at these intervals" to 4 minutes, so that if any device is down it can be detected within this timeframe. But this is not the case & it takes hours for the icons to change colour. [ Full device discovery & data collection happens once a day ]. Only when i do a data collection manually does the changes get upadtes[ color changing from red to green or vice versa ]. I need the changes to be updated dynamically & as soon as it happens. I am totally at a loss since all settings appear to be correct.Can someone explain please, as i am stuck on this issue!.

Regards & Thanks

Sonu

Ciscoworks Campus Manager was not designed to do any realtime monitoring. DFM is the only realtime component in Ciscoworks.

I believe to get the best results from Campus you should lower the "Poll Interval" in the "Data Collection Schedule". It is by default every 2 hours.

This only checks the existing devices and interfaces.

I also feel it can't be a big deal to take the events from RME's syslog and DFM, and to have these events change the color of a device in Campus. I spoken to several people at cisco about this and they agree but I don't see anything moving there.

I guess the focus is on other projects that could bring in more money.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: