cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.2 64 bit?

daniellandry
Level 1
Level 1

Does CiscoWorks LMS 2.2 support 64 bits applications?

LMS 2.5 support 64 bits applications?

Thanks

DL

4 Replies 4

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

Both are 32 bit application

Context:

DFM 1.2 "false" threshold exceed.

Is it possible that if we have

a interface with a very high traffic

(counter over than 32 bits) DFM repport

a false threshold exceed?

DL

This message you are receiving from DFM is in the context of a counter on a network element, not the server hosting the CW DFM application. Generally speaking, there are two different sized counters, 32bit, and 64bit or High Capacity (HC) counters. These counters are used to store information about a particular network interface or event, such as how many packets have gone through an interface, or how many bytes.

A 32-bit signed integer counter, like the ifInOctets/ifOutOctets, will overflow or wrap at 2^31-1. Most modern NMS applications, and maybe even DFM, should have logic to figure out when a counter has overflowed or wrapped, but I think it is also dependent on DFM's polling interval (And if DFM solely relies on solicited SNMP traps, you can ignore most of what I'm about to say). If an interface is pushing an extremely large volume of bits through it, and it wraps N+1 times in a polling cycle, I don't know how you'd be able to detect that.

I personally do not have much experience with DFM, so I'm not sure exactly what you should do to resolve your issue, but hopefully this will help you understand the 32bit/64bit stuff.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800b69ac.shtml

How DFM 1.2 or 2.0 (polling and threshold)figure out when a counter has overflowed or wrapped ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco