cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5.1 backups failing to create good filebackup.tar file

kviola1
Level 1
Level 1

I am running LMS 2.5.1 on Windows 2000. When I do an immediate or scheduled backup, the backup completes with no error indication, however the filebackup.tar files created are only 10KB in size and are identified as an "invalid archive directory" when attempting to open via winzip. The directories for campus, cmf, dfm, and rmeng are all created with normal subdirectory structure but each directory contains an invalid filebackup.tar file rendering the restorebackup.pl utility useless. This problem occurs on some of my CW servers but not all.

The dbbackup.log from the failed systems shows the following:

Backup to 'D:/cwbkup' started at: [Wed Apr 11 10:04:41 2007]

Archiving the contents of the following directories into D:/cwbkup\0\campus\filebackup.tar

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\DeviceDiscovery.properties

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\ANIServer.properties

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\discoverysnmp.conf

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\datacollectionsnmp.conf

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\Snmpv3EngineParam.txt

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\UTSnmpv3EngineParam.txt

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/users

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/archives

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/users

D:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/ReportArchives

D:/CSCOpx/htdocs/campus/maps

/cygdrive/d/CSCOpx/bin/tar: /CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/DeviceDiscovery.properties : Cannot stat: No such file or directory

/cygdrive/d/CSCOpx/bin/tar: /CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/ANIServer.properties : Cannot stat: No such file or directory

/cygdrive/d/CSCOpx/bin/tar: /CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/discoverysnmp.conf : Cannot stat: No such file or directory

/cygdrive/d/CSCOpx/bin/tar: /CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/datacollectionsnmp.conf : Cannot stat: No such file or directory

/cygdrive/d/CSCOpx/bin/tar: /CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/Snmpv3EngineParam.txt : Cannot stat: No such file or directory

The good systems show:

Backup to 'd:/cwbkup' started at: [Sun Apr 15 03:00:01 2007]

Warning: The Backup Directory [d:/cwbkup] has a sub directory [0-old], which is not a valid backup generation directory. Assigning unique directory for backup is advised.

Archiving the contents of the following directories into d:/cwbkup\47\campus\filebackup.tar

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\DeviceDiscovery.properties

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\ANIServer.properties

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\discoverysnmp.conf

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\datacollectionsnmp.conf

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\Snmpv3EngineParam.txt

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi\UTSnmpv3EngineParam.txt

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/users

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/archives

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/users

d:/CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/ReportArchives

d:/CSCOpx/htdocs/campus/maps

/cygdrive/d/CSCOpx/bin/tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

Archiving the contents of the following directories into d:/cwbkup\47\cmf\filebackup.tar

d:/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/servlet\cwpass

d:/CSCOpx/lib/classpath\sso.properties

d:/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/dcr\dcr.ini

d:/CSCOpx/MDC/Apache/conf/ssl

d:/CSCOpx/www/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/security\secret.dat

d:/CSCOpx/www/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/security/jaas\JaasConfig.xml

d:/CSCOpx/www/classpath/com/cisco/nm/xms/psu/maps

d:/CSCOpx/objects/data/cmf/cmic/registered-templates

Any ideas why the backups are failing?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ken.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is a conflict with multiple versions of cygwin1.dll on the system. The workaround for the time being is to remove the other versions of cygwin1.dll. Typically, this conflict occurs after installing OpenSSH, but there are many applications that will install their own version of cygwin1.dll. The bug is CSCsc69299.

Joe - I renamed all cygwin1.dlls, rebooted, and reran the backup but the problem remains the same. Are there any environmental variables that need to be set or something?

Thanks - Ken.

No variables, but you will have to UNINSTALL the other app(s) or modify the registry. You need to remove the entries under HKLM/Software/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin/mounts v2.

Joe - any other suggestions? Can I reinstall a CiscoWorks patch or program than installs cygwin?

Ken.

No, you have to uninstall that which installed the other cygwin1.dll. That should clean up the Registry, but if not, you will have to clean up that registry tree as well. We have a few bugs opened for this, but that is currently the only workaround at this time.

Joe - I removed the entire Cygnus Solutions keys from the registry and was able to do a manual and automatic backup. The only other programs using cygwin appeared to be Tivoli. Not sure if it's going to break that application but I'm sure I'll hear about it if it does. What are the other bug numbers on this? Thanks for your help.

CSCsg62980, CSCsc69299, and CSCse69546.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: