cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5.1 DFM SP4 cat 6500 hybrid

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Seems there is a problem with DFM 2.0.4.

Suddenly a large number of new devices appear that are in fact the different ip addresses of the msfc vlan interfaces.

There is no relation with the Campus discovery process.

The community strings that are discovered appear like something cisco-encoded.

It seems it is possible that these interfaces discovered by DFM are being fed back into the DCR. It says so in bugid CSCse38513.

I'm seeing this on multiple sites with different hybrid IOS versions on the equipment.

Until now I haven't found any document that describes this process that I didn't even know it existed.

Does anyone have any information on this? Any way to influence this process.

Cheers,

Michel

5 Replies 5

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Anyone else with Cat6k and MSFC running hybrid code seeing this?

Cheers,

Michel

Does anyone feel there is no way a discovery from DFM could get into the DCR?

Cheers,

Michel

Hi There,

Finally - someone has experienced the same problem I have had. I have been tearing my hair out over this problem.

I began getting multiple layer 3 addresses in campus manager, rme and common services. Apparently there is a bug raised for this and relates directly to Cat6500 switches, unforunately I didnt make a note of it when my cisco support representative raised a TAC for it.

The only way I was able to get round this was to roll back to SP3 for all applictions. I know this isn't asolution, but I have been told that Cisco will fix this in SP5, though I am reluctant to upgrade patch until I am sure that the problem is fixed, it simply caused me too many problems.

Hope this helps.

I had to open yet another case.

And I was tolled this by the TAC

This bug is tentatively scheduled to be fixed in DFM 2.0.6. In the meantime, as a workaround,

1) please delete the "interface" devices from DCR, DFM and RME,

2) followed by a rediscovery in DFM. This should stop CiscoWorks from discovering interfaces as separate devices.

You might also try if easier:

-Delete all instances from DCR

-Delete the extra device instances in DFM

-Allow DFM to "rediscover" the device in DFM

A collegue was tolled he had to disable DFM. The customer had no objection so....

My customer feels it should be fixed ASAP.

The provided workarround didn't prevent it from happening again. Funny glitch, their are 2 identical machines and only one of them has its interfaces rediscovered by DFM.

Still no documentation on how a DFM discovery end up in the DCR though. That the part that worries me the most as I realy try to understand how this "blackbox" works.

Cheers

Michel

This is indeed a bug introduced in DFM 2.0.4. Functionality was added to DFM to handle devices which may contain other devices. For example, a hybrid Cat6K switch contains an MSFC. The interfaces from the MSFC are passed up from the EMC part of DFM to the Cisco part which then adds these interfaces into DCR as separate devices. This bug is currently being actively worked on. A fix should be ready for 2.0.6.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: