cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5 Campus SP 5 no telnet from map ?

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I installed Campus SP 5 to see/enjoy what's new.

Only feature I noticed so far is that on the map, right-click telnet doesn't work anymore. Anyone else seeing this?

Right-click devicecenter still does work, so I don't have to go far to launch a telnet but still....

Right-click SSH, Csicoview, etc also still work as before.

Is there anything that can be configured here?

Cheers,

Michel

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It works for me. And I just tested this as I was working on an SSH bug. With what client are you seeing this problem? If Windows, make sure you have access to run cmd.exe as well as telnet.exe exists in your path.

The way telnet is executed on Windows is to try and write a topotel.bat file to your home directory on your client. The contents of which will be:

start telnet

Then that batch file is executed. If that batch file cannot be written, then the following command will be tried:

cmd /k telnet

If the client is Solaris, then the following command will be executed:

xterm -e telnet

You may also see errors in the Java Plug-in console related to this.

I saw the same issue a couple of weeks ago and as jclarke mentioned above it may be due to missing access to cmd.exe and telnet.exe

I added casusers group to have access to these exe's and then the issue was resolved.

David, Joe,

The thing is, the problem happens only on the topology map.

In the device centre the telnet link works.

If it works in one place ........?

It worked when I was on Campus 4.0.4

I'm using an unsupported firefox but will see if IE has the same issue.

Cheers

Michel

Nevermind guys

Problem on my PC

Not one I understand....telnet works in browser in html but not from java applet

Whatever

Michel

We use signed Java applets to invoke commands locally on the client. If you refused this access at one point, that may cause the problem. Go to your Java Plug-in Control Panel, and remove all certificates relating to Cisco. Then, clear out your Cache under the Cache tab. then restart your browser, accept all certs, then see if you can spawn telnet from an applet.

Of course, make sure you test the local commands I sent you previous work when executed manually. As you have observed, the Device Center link simply uses a telnet:// URL where as Campus actually executes commands locally on the client.

Thanks Joe,

I noticed your post just too late to try this. I haven't found any batch files like you mention on my pc but if I make them myself they work as expected, just like the other commands.

To resolve I removed/uninstalled all java stuff, reboot, install j2re-1_4_2_10-windows-i586-p_withvbj.exe and things work as before.

Nothing related to java was changed AFAIK. Since I should be able to support Ciscoworks on a customer site I have become a bit picky about what java stuff I install/change on my PC.

But I regret not having tried another machine before posting here.

I had to take down my firewall a couple of times. That could mean that the policy server on my corparate network has attacked my PC. My need to examine the damage done.

Cheers,

Michel