Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5 hostnames & DFM

I have a customer with LMS 2.5 installed (on a Windows 2000 Server), running the latest patches etc. I have imported all the Cisco devices successfully. DNS does not have all the device hostnames but the LMS Server has a local hosts file with all the devices listed.

Common Services & RME list all the devices showing thier hostnames (RME lists 300 'normal' devices). In DFM there are various devices listed with the IP Address as the Device Name instead of the actual hostname.

I have verified that the server can resolve the names correctly by pinging the hosts using thier hostnames. I have also deleted the devices (several times) and re-imported them but DFM still shows them up using the IP address instead of the hostname. How can I resolve this?

Thanks

Andy

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

If you want RME and DFM to only use hostnames then you are going to have to do the following:

RME

Do an export to file- rme-admin-invenptory-export to file. Save as a csv version format 2.

Then rename all the ip addresses as host names. Then import the file back into RME. On the

import back in you are going to get alias devices since you added them first by ip address

and now by host name. Go to rme-admin-inventory-import status-alias. Tell it to use the

import file to resolve the alias issue.

DFM

Basically the easiest way to do this is delete all the devices and then reimport from rme

with the hostnames.

If this is not working, You can delete the devices that doesn't display the IP address from your DFM Administration Console then click Inventory>Save Inventory. Then click "Recompute Codebook." After

which, use a seed file that contains the information regarding the deleted devices. The

format of a seed file is found from this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2421/products_user_guide_c

hapter09186a008017ae43.html#wp1018370

(Please be careful in copying and pasting the link since it may be broken. Some mailer

programs break up the long URLs.)

Put the IP address of the devices and the read community string in the seed file. Example:

10.199.248.80 public

Be sure the default read community string matches that of your network.

The seed file must be on the same host as the domain manager. Once you have prepared your

seed file, add the devices by selecting Inventory > Import from Seed File from the

Administration Console. Be sure to select Inventory>Reconfigure and Inventory>Save

Inventory when you are done.

I have sort of already done that. All the devices were imported using hostnames and NOT IP addresses. The LMS Server has a hosts file with all the devices listed (I have checked this and it is correct). The .CSV file used for importing the devices purely had hostnames.

It is just 5 devices that are displayed this way - it's weird. I will have a look again when I am next on the customers site.

Thanks anyway

Andy