cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.5 log file was not empty when running logbackup

nhubinh
Level 1
Level 1

I followed the common service user guide to maintaining the log file on Windows.

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\cgi-bin\admin\logBackup.pl [-force][-dir destination

directory]

Everything was ok but one thing made me crazy. After backup the log file, the log file size was not empty.

Pls give me advice about this. Could I delete the log file and create a new empty file?

Regards,

Brian

1 Reply 1

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

look in the online help of your CiscoWorks LMS server:

http://YourLmsServer:1741/help/cmf/index.html?logrot.html

and be aware of section 5. :

[..]

Only log files that reach 90% of their size limits are backed up, and the original log file is emptied.

[...]

The size limits for the log files are defined in $NMSROOT/conf/logstat.conf with values in bytes. So if a log file has not reached 90% of this predefined value OR is even not listed in this file it will not be touched be logBackup.pl (on Windows, some log files are also defined in the registry)

logBackup.pl was the first utility to handle log file size, but the daemon manger must be stopped to execute it. I would recommend to configure logrot.pl instead to handle log files and have the daemons running. See the above online help link to get details about logrot.pl and also search this forum - there are multiple threads with this issue.

If you have configured logrot.pl properly you do not need to delete log files manually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: