Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LMS 2.5 upgrade from LMS 2.1?

What are your opinions regarding the upgrade of LMS 2.1 to LMS 2.5 on Windows?

I have a job to do (NMS isn't my speciality...) and the customer currently has LMS 2.1 on a HP DL360 G3. I am pretty sure the server is in bad shape and hasn't been touched for about 8-months so it is likely no patches have been applied and the disk is probably full of Syslog messages.

Anyway they have purchased the upgrade to LMS 2.5 and I am contemplating the best approach to the upgrade. I have read the migration documentation and it talks about using a 2nd server and then migrating the data over - I won't have this luxury unfortunately and will need to do an 'in-flight' upgrade if this the way I choose.

I am thinking the best way maybe to wipe the server clean (HP system erase) and rebuild everything from scratch. Is this a good idea? I have a .CSV file with all the nodes on so I can easily re-import the devices but I don't know what else is configured (not much if I recall?).

Just after your opinions?

Thanks

Andy

3 REPLIES
Red

Re: LMS 2.5 upgrade from LMS 2.1?

It's a great idea. Make sure there is a minimum of 2GB of RAM.

Silver

Having administered Ciscoworks servers since 1998, the best bet is always to export your inventory, wipe, re-install and import. Upgrading an installation is a very problematic effort if it even works.

I decided to wipe and re-install.....

I exported the devices to a .CSV file and as a precaution I backed up the various applications and copied them down to another PC. I used HP's SmartStart to wipe the drives and reinstall Windows 2000 with a slip-streamed SP4 CD. I then let Windows Update take care of the OS patches (about 6 reboots I think). I installed Common Services 3.0, Campus Manager 4.0, RME 4.0 and DFM 2.0. I then patched them in the same order using the latest Service Packs/updates from CCO.

After a full day of just getting the OS and software back on I was ready to import the previously exported data - I did this and went home for the evening. The following day I tweaked around with the imported data and set a few defaults (SNMP Strings, RME protocol orders etc). DNS was my only let down as all the devices (200+) are not in the customers DNS servers. A partially populated HOSTS file existed so I edited this, exported the data to a .CSV file and manipulated it so device hostnames replaced the previous IP addressed that were there for some devices. I then re-imported the data, waited a couple of hours and voila - all working....

Not bad I thought for 2-days. I didn't need the backup up data in the end. I would recommend this to anyone contemplating an upgrade from LMS 2.1/2.2 to 2.5.

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies