cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6 Performance

6tschraml
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to ask a question concerning the network discovery performance of LMS 2.6. A couple of customers have reported that after upgrading from 2.5.1 to 2.6 it takes LMS twice the time to discover the network. Especially major aquisition runs very long. Can you confirm that behaviour? In fact we are not sure if we have a problem with these installations or if LMS just lost performance. I have to mention that the underlying network has not changed after upgrading to 2.6.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Schraml

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I know of no changes in Campus Manager 4.0.6 that would dramatically increase the time to discover the network or perform UT major acquisition. However, UT acquisitions can take a long time on Windows if the end host IP addresses are not resolvable. This is due to the way name resolution works on Windows. This has been the case since the very beginnging, however (see CSCsd58215).

rpsunbeam
Level 1
Level 1

I have noticed the same thing, discovery is quick but data collection runs for hours and hours, this morning i watched it run for four+ hours.. on 350 nodes. dunno what it is doing, but that is very long compared to what i'm used to.

With Data Collection, you can enable various debugs to see what's going on. In particular, framework, frontend, vlad, corex, and core are good choices. Off the top of my head, besides the Windows name resolution problem, you may be running into a delay due to STP fetching. For STP, we need to use community string indexing (v1/v2c) or SNMP contexts (v3). If SNMP is improperly configured, or you're running into a related bug, that could delay Data Collection.

In any event, more information is needed.

... in the meanwhile I found bug id CSCsd58215 that describes problems in the DNS environment of UT. But I am not sure that this bug really applies. Currently we have our focus on CM 4.0.7 that has just been released with some interesting statements concerning UT performance improvements in the release note. We are currently checking that out.

Thomas Schraml